Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

How Long Meat in Freezer

Big Sky Guy

I’m thought this has been discussed at least in part but I couldn’t find the threads anywhere.

My question is what is the oldest frozen meat you would make (or have made) Jerkey from? Meat is frozen and vacuum sealed with 3 mil bags in muscle groups. I thought I’d seen it discussed on here as to I how long meat is good in the freezer with most saying 1-2 years, however since it’s for jerkey does this extend the useable life of freezer stored meat?

1-2 years? I’d say the average age of meat in my freezer is probably greater than that. I agree it depends on the type of meat and how well it’s packaged. Pig meat usually doesn’t stay in my freezer longer than a year or so. Elk, deer…I have never had meat go bad from old age, though I am sure it could. I think 8ish years old is the oldest I’ve eaten and it was better than the year I shot it.

I pulled some 2019 deer roasts out a few months ago to make room for the 21 season to make jerky and they were still perfect. Found a 2017 antelope backstrap that got tucked away as well during the search. It was vacuum sealed as well. You would have thought I won the lottery as much ruckus as I made about the find. It was just as tasty as the fresh ones!

Even if freezer burn just cut it off. Meat is still good 3-5 years in my experience. Then again, it rarely last that long without getting ate!

Packaged well, lean meat will last a really long time. Using good quality freezer bags, and not moving them around will help a lot. If using freezer paper, use saran wrap or similar and good coated paper. I've eaten elk streaks that were 6 years old that were fine. Just grabbed a couple packages on the way out the door to go camping one time. We either ate them or didn't eat. haha They turned out to be just fine. The freezer burn can be trimmed off if it has any. I make jerky from old meat all the time, but I rarely have meat longer than 2 years.

chest freezers will keep meat better than stand-up. Every time you open the door on a standup all the air falls out, and warm air is exchanged. The exchange of air is what causes freezer burn. With chest freezers there is less air movement.

Some fish can last a long time as well, such as halibut. I've eaten 2-3 year old halibut and it tasted fine. Salmon on the other hand depends on the type. Some lasts 3 months others will push a year. Just depends on how much fat/oil they have in them. It goes bad eventually.

chest freezers will keep meat better than stand-up. Every time you open the door on a standup all the air falls out, and warm air is exchanged. The exchange of air is what causes freezer burn. With chest freezers there is less air movement

I often hear you should not use "frost-free" models because they periodically blow air around which will promote freezer burn.

It never lasts more than a couple of years in my freezer, but I have eaten 9 year old steak dug out of the bottom of my dad’s freezer that was perfectly fine, no off taste whatsoever. It was wrapped in saran wrap then wrapped in butcher paper.

I've got some elk,moose, and bighorn that's from 2018 now. I keep hoarding what's left of the moose and sheep like Uncle Scrooge, nobody is worthy of it. It's still great when I do eat some though.

Thanks everyone! I’ll give it a go! Somehow I got off a year and just found some 2019 packages and one undated that I think is most likely 2020 so that wasn’t the concern.

Also good to know about the freezer burn, I wrapped a whole back strap with the intent to smoke it and just found the bag got a rip in it and there are some freezer burn sections I’ll trim those off and proceed as normal.

i wouldn't say ust because for jerky can be old. you have a great chance of tasting "freezer burnt" taste meat no matter what you do with it.

I cleaned out the freezer last year and found some whitetail and antelope that was 3 years old. It looked and smelled good. I didn't make jerky but canned it. Tasted just like the fresh meat I canned next to it.

wrap well and in as big of chunks as you can (so you can trim anything that might get freezer burnt) and it will almost last indefinitely.
Yes. Freezer burn won’t hurt you. You can also refreeze meat. Doesn't mean you should try to but you can without any harm.

Packaged well, lean meat will last a really long time. Using good quality freezer bags, and not moving them around will help a lot. If using freezer paper, use saran wrap or similar and good coated paper. I've eaten elk streaks that were 6 years old that were fine. Just grabbed a couple packages on the way out the door to go camping one time. We either ate them or didn't eat. haha They turned out to be just fine. The freezer burn can be trimmed off if it has any. I make jerky from old meat all the time, but I rarely have meat longer than 2 years.

chest freezers will keep meat better than stand-up. Every time you open the door on a standup all the air falls out, and warm air is exchanged. The exchange of air is what causes freezer burn. With chest freezers there is less air movement.

Some fish can last a long time as well, such as halibut. I've eaten 2-3 year old halibut and it tasted fine. Salmon on the other hand depends on the type. Some lasts 3 months others will push a year. Just depends on how much fat/oil they have in them. It goes bad eventually.

I freeze my fish in bags filled with water. Keeps the freezer burn at bay for a long time.

We never seem to have enough suplus meet to test how long it lasts in the freezer. I may be a bad hunter, but mostly the problem is that if you give me a knife and fork I can eat an elk in one sitting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back