Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

how long before mounting

sonnybob2000

I got a nice buck two years ago. I sent it with a friend so he could take it to a man that was going to mount it for me. Well the man never did mount it. I just got it back. It has been in the freezer since the day it was killed. It has never been unthawed. How long can it stay in the freezer before it is mounted.

Is it tanned already? if tanned a while longer if it is wrapped tightly or vaccum sealed. If a raw cape, the ears will be a real treat to split at this time. If freezer burning is bad enough it can do harm. How is it wrapped? are the ears split? Is it wet tanned?

I had 2 green deer capes in the freezer from last fall that I took care of about 6 months after they were shot. The ears on both of them were a PITA to deal with, and will require some threadwork to make right. At 2 years, I'll bet they'll be nearly impossible to take care of.

Depends.... I thawed out my oryx cape after 5 years and it was fine. I've had some get freezer burned after a year, but still never really had a problem. Kind of pain, but usually salvageable.

thanks for info

There was nothing done to this cape, it was green. I will just have to see, if nothing else I guess I can have a scull mount. Thanks for the advice guys.

While it might cost some extra money, the taxidermist you select might be able to get you a donor cape from someone if yours is ruined. Just a thought.....

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back