How long before going back to a stand?

Doug

How many times a year do use the same coyote calling stand over? How long do you let a productive stand "cool off" before you try it again?

Doug, 2 or 3 months ago on one of the club competitions Robb, Tyler and I made one of our rounds south of Phx. On the first stand Robb called in a coyote and shot it. At the end of the day we hit the same place again and I called in a coyote. This was a place I took you 2 years ago. This happens often and as things get more crowded here it isn't unusual to call the same area that others have just called. The coyotes still come in.

I've killed dogs off the same stand on consecutive days.

When they start barking at me as soon as the bunny call starts thats when I give it a rest for a couple weeks.

Rich is sure right about the croweded part. I don't think there is much public land that don't get called and hunted nowadays. I got this Idea about hunting coyotes in areas that people seem to bypass because they think it's illegal to hunt, but it's not if you use a shotgun lol. Anyways, this one place I make a stand and almost always get a coyote or two to respond. I'm not one to over hunt an area, but sometimes it don't matter because of the amount of hungry coyotes I guess? lol.
I recall a club hunt years ago on about a 20 mile stretch of road in Nevada that my hunting partner and I took 15 coyotes on, the next day on the way back we got 10 more on that same stretch. The next month we went back and had nothing but howlers, lot's of them on every stand but never seen one? I'll never be able to figure them damn coyotes out lol. Oh well, it's always fun trying, Good Hunting.

I believe that the coyote I call in a certain area today, won't always be the coyote that was there yesterday or tomorrow. Our Az coyotes are a nomadic lot, covering lots of territory throughout their hunting cycle, which over laps other coyotes hunting areas and so on. Ive called honey holes on a fairly frequent basis, and if the cover and habitat are conducive to coyotes being there, they usually are. If I have diminished success after hitting the area three of four times a month, I let it rest for a few weeks and other coyotes will have moved in.Steve Craig floated a theory years back about some sort of circular migratory pattern....maybe there is something to it? Im not a believer in rigid coyote territorial behavior, at least not where I live:)

Back when I used to trap foxes, we would trap out an area and move on. Maybe there'd be no more foxes move in there for a few weeks. One thing that really did move the fox population around is all the hunters in the woods for the first few days of deer season. Foxes would move all over the place and many times we'd put up pretty good catch numbers for a few days. I wonder how much of an effect all those quail hunters in Arizona have on moving around the coyotes? ;)

i shot 8 coyotes from the same rim. average two per weekend. same spot at daylight with the same call. 4 weeks in a row. one double the first set then singles. deer grunt tube on winter range.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back