Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

How important is a high quality cooler for meat care?

matechakeric

I will be driving cross country with the intent of stopping every day to add fresh dry ice to any game meat killed. Can I get away with cheap coolers less than $100 each or do I need rotomolded coolers?

we want to keep bone-meat and butcher it at home

A cheap Coleman and some duck tape and you are good for 36-48 hours. Just go a couple pounds heavy on the dry ice and you are G2G. It will be partially frozen by the time you get home.

Worst thing you can do is open it to keep checking it.

BTW also separate the meat from the dry ice with some cardboard. Otherwise it will burn your meat.

A cheap Coleman and some duck tape and you are good for 36-48 hours. Just go a couple pounds heavy on the dry ice and you are G2G. It will be partially frozen by the time you get home.

Worst thing you can do is open it to keep checking it.

BTW also separate the meat from the dry ice with some cardboard. Otherwise it will burn your meat.
that's what I was thinking. I'm trying to find a good coleman or igloo cooler with the dimensions needed to fit 1-2 hindquarters. found one with 37.06 x 19.25 x 18.88 inches (lxwxh) I imagine that is adequate for 2 hind quarters cut off at the knee

As others have said cheap coolers work I used them multiple times I’ve upgraded all my coolers to roto molded And like them better myself I had a cheap Coleman handle break on me full of antelope and Ice it was a pain to carry after that so just pitched it and bought roto molded but it kept the meat cool

We drive 32 hours. Cheap coolers with regular ice. Leave the drain plug partially open. Meat is in contractor bags. If the temps are cool on the way home you may only have to add ice once.

I will second the Extremes. Best bang for the buck. Kept my food cold when left in the vehicle in Moab during June.

I have a slightly different take on it. I have an expensive rotomolded cooler a 65 qt. Obviously that would not be enough for an elk. I use it to keep frozen jugs of ice. That cooler doesn't get opened until we need to put our meat in the other coolers which are Igloo and Coleman brands. I always have ice and never have to worry about finding it on the drive home.

I bought 2 igloo extreme 150s years ago when i was stationed on east coast just for western hunts. Paid $55 each at costco after coupon and i have put Tons of miles on those 2 coolers. I would never pack a rotomolded cooler that far, way to bulky and heavy. Buying a pair has made it easier to stack and know how to pack. Didnt always take both on trips but with several tags its nice to have the extra cooler room for ice/dryice.

I had a Yeti 105, so heavy I ditched it and got an Igloo boat cooler for $60 bucks and it is bigger and performs just as well if you ice right and leave it alone.

This is a bold statement, but I feel like my rotomolded cooler might be the number 1 gadget Ive wasted money on whilst trying to establish a “western adventure kit” over the past couple years.
Its just so heavy and so far all of my hunts have been within an hour or so of a gas station so idk if it’s necessary for me.

I believe I have a 120qt Coleman marine that was like $70 that will fit at least 1 rear and 2 front elk quarters.

last year in January in Arizona I had a cheap blue Coleman 45qt with a 12 pack in it that I laid a bag of ice over and there was still quite a bit of ice and the beer was cold when I got back 4 days later.

I have three sizes of Yeti, bought the 120 when I purchased my raft. This one is my go to for traveling and camping hunts, it will hold a boned out elk and all the ice necessary to keep it cool for days. It also doubles as a seat in the raft, we use it every weekend in the summer. We’ve had it for 12 years, no issues.

The other two were acquired more recently, the 35 was given to me as a gift from my boss, and the Roadie was “won” at a RMEF Banquet after proper lubrication.

I really like the coolers, Yeti makes an impressive piece of equipment that gets used across all of my outdoor interests. I got tired of the hinges, handles, and latches breaking off the blue coolers. It’s an investment that improves the quality of my time, not necessary, just like almost all of the stuff I have.

Just bought a fancy Cordova 48 qt, but that is for food. Frozen 2 liters and cheap coolers for the meat. Easy to top off with ice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back