Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

How I would give 1st aid to myself. If I had an open chest wound in the field.

I know my chances of surviving an open chest wound in the backcountry are slim. But I know they’re a lot slimmer if that open chest wound stays open- you aren’t guaranteed to survive if you close it, but you’re damn near guaranteed to die if you don’t.

That’s why I have a chest seal in the pack- it doesn’t guarantee anything, but it moves the odds my direction just enough to justify me carrying one. So chest seal and a garmin InReach go with me, to move the needle a bit more in my favor.

War stories are fun, but training is better. The American College of Surgeons provides Stop the Bleed training. It is often available for free or at reduced cost. Find a class near you at:

8/24/97 I cut my left hand off with a compound miter saw. Put it together, took my wife’s shorts and wrapped it then my right hand as a twisting tourniquet. Wife drove me to the hospital, I got on the radio, state vehicle, and notified the hospital we were on the way and injury and blood type. Walked it to the ER and argued with the doctors when they wanted clip the skin and toss the hand.
Not everyone panics. I’m not a EMT, former Marine. If you rely on your training, you can safe your life.

8/24/97 I cut my left hand off with a compound miter saw. Put it together, took my wife’s shorts and wrapped it then my right hand as a twisting tourniquet. Wife drove me to the hospital, I got on the radio, state vehicle, and notified the hospital we were on the way and injury and blood type. Walked it to the ER and argued with the doctors when they wanted clip the skin and toss the hand.
Not everyone panics. I’m not a EMT, former Marine. If you rely on your training, you can safe your life.
You, sir, are one tough sumbitch! You have my respect.

And how did you make out in the end? Just curious.

Amazing result on your disastrous accident repair. Unthinkable outcome if it was 50 years ago. Major kudos to the surgeons, physical and occupational therapists, and yourself on saving your hand with near full function.

PS: @elkhnter the callous on your ring finger tells me you aren’t babying it either.

I know my chances of surviving an open chest wound in the backcountry are slim. But I know they’re a lot slimmer if that open chest wound stays open- you aren’t guaranteed to survive if you close it, but you’re damn near guaranteed to die if you don’t.

That’s why I have a chest seal in the pack- it doesn’t guarantee anything, but it moves the odds my direction just enough to justify me carrying one. So chest seal and a garmin InReach go with me, to move the needle a bit more in my favor.
I love this. We already live in the margins as hunters and do hundreds of things to slightly shift the odds in our favor. Might as well do this. Even if it only buys me an hour I could send a lot of love to my family and prayers to heaven.

I also agree with what many have said that everyone is different and we behave different under certain circumstances. I watched my dad rip his finger off falling off a combine, wrap it up, then drive a truck with a manual 45 minutes to get it sewn back on. I also watched the same man almost faint when he watched the doctor pull my chest tube out (long story).

If $15 and 2oz in your pack give you confidence and allow you to hunt harder then that is a great investment.

Back