Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

How has winter been so far?

Montana is finally seeing warmer temps and the snow is melting fast in the lower country. It is a bit late as we are starting to see dead deer around the ranch house. I suspect that there will be more dying as we are still a month away from the usual late April green up.

Here is a good article from a few weeks ago:

Winter in Montana came late but turned into a real bitch from mid January through mid March with snow piling up and extremely cold temps.

Our snow is also melting fast now in NE WY. Unfortunately the melt has uncovered quite a few antelope carcasses. Quite a few looked like adults to me, so the younger ones probably had a tough time. I haven't been able to get very far off the road because it is super muddy, so its possible there is a lot of roadkill that managed to get off the road a good ways before dying. I also don't have any biologists data, but to me the winter kill on antelope looks pretty significant in the NE part of WY anyway. They have kindof scattered a little bit from the big winter bunches so it is a little bit tough to tell. Deer seemed to have fared a little better, appears to be about the same numbers in the same usual haunts, some looked on the youngish side also. Just trying to update I guess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back