How far will you take a shot?

I guess I'm one of those guys with a high-tech gun and scope. I have been hunting big game for well over 40 years. In that time, I've taken LOTS of deer, elk, bear and most of what else lives in Idaho. I used to handload very carefully for my .270.

I switched to a .300 Wthby, for which I meticulously load 180 grn. accubonds. The velocity is 3428 fps and pretty consistent (depending on temp.). I shoot, between the several gunds, well over 10,000 rounds per year. I practice on rock chucks at 700. With a laser range finder and a ballistic-drop compensating scope, it works.

You can make some pretty good shots, if you have the right equipment and practice. My last 4 shots at game were: mule deer at 311; mule deer at 553; mule deer at 278; coyote at 563. I got them all, but the coyote ran about 50 feet, before the blood all fell out (hit him where left front leg joined the body).

(I've used a muzzleloader for elk and bear the last few years. That's why all the shooting was at deer.)

I have no problem taking a 700-800 yard shot with my 300 win mag. I have a leupold 6.5x20x50mm with the premier reticle dot system with dots out to 700 yards. I have shot numerous coues deer and mule deer in the 500-700 yard range and beleive it or not I have never lost one yet. I just dont take shots if there is alot of wind.

I'm in the proccess of building a 300 ultra mag with a schmidt and bender 4-16x50mm scope with the advanced reticle system in it. That gun will be dialed in for 1000 yards.

I don;t shoot Elk out past 600 because it takes alot to knock them down. But I will not hesitate shooting a deer or lope out there far.

Heck I shot a Elk last month off hand at 350+ yards and my 180 grain nosler partition mushroomed out perfectly like it was suppose to. He was dead on his feet. I shot a second time and the bullet went right threw him since it did not hit no bone.

There is nothing wrong with shooting long range as long as you know excactly what your gun is doing and have confidence in shooting that far.

I don't like long range shooting. I'd rather have a real close sound shot in the thick stuff!

3428fps with a 300 ? You have a 6' barrel on that thing or what? ;)
Not callin' anyone a fibber here, but a 180 gain bullet @ 3428 does seem a little fast. I've gotten 3455 out of my own .300 Wby (yes, shot over my chronograph and not something listed in a reloading manual) shooting 150 grain Hornadys, and that was about max. Not saying it can't be done, but that's smokin' for a 180.
Don't get me wrong, I perfer closer shooting, like 100-200 yards. But these coastal blacktails make up their own rules. Someone who has hunted both Coues whitetail and Columbian blacktail told me that they're very simular in the way they use their habitat and you'ed better be prepared for long shooting because of how wary and spooky they are. Forest blacktail hunting is a whole other deal -pretty close range stuff.
When I say I take 300-500 yard shots, I mean that nearly everything has to almost perfect, or I don't take the shot. I'll let him go and try to sneak up on him a little better next time. Still, I've got an answer for him if he won't feed in any closer than 350-400 yards.

Yeah, that 3428 claim seems pretty high to me, too, for a .300 Wthby with a 180 bullet. Maybe a 150... What powder and charge are you using to get there, and how long a barrel?

I'll shoot 400 ish if I know the range and I'm shooting at a stationary animal, and I have time to settle in to a good prone shot.

I'd say the average distance of all big game I've rifle killed is about 125 yards. Closer is better.

Got my rangefinder and calibrated my ballistic-plex reticle out to about 525 yards. That being said, MT buck deer 171 yards, MT doe deer maybe 75 yards, SD buck deer 181 yards, AK mountain goat 98 yards. All but the doe were shot from prone and resting over my backpack.

If I have a good rest, no wind and a broadside big game target, I will go to 425. If it is a coyote, I might try a little further.;)

Passed on a 500 yard shot at an elk this year. 400 is about my max in good conditions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back