Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

How do you Bait Bears and what do you use?

JB, Im sure oscar has some insight to this question but i will tell ya what i know,wont take but a minute
biggrin.gif
iv heard at least two months prior but, im not sure if there is a magical number of days! i think it to establish frequency in visits! depending on when the bears choose to visit the site will determine when to put the food out! this may vary if there comming in after shooting light!
what to use : Tampons of course!!! no really we used bagels and doughnuts and they preferred the jelly doughnuts.I also use anise extract and vanilla extract! some use rotten meat, dairy products, general food garbage will work,rotten beaver ive heard works well so there are alot of things you can use! for bait! technique has more to do with it than actual bait i think!

heres a tip i learned that seems to work! get a squirt gun and fill it with either anise extract or vanilla (i like anise) and squirt it down and all around the trails leading in to the site .just dont get it on you or the stand!! big no! no!.

hope this helps e-mail me if you are interested in a bowhunt for bear!!!!

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

Check WomingTims post on choosing a bait site.... I would be GLAD to write another book though
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter
<LI> www.huntandlodge.com

moose.gif

[/list]

Here in WI we are restricted as to what we can bait with. I run 8 bait sites each year and start baiting the first part of July. Most of these baits are hit the first night, and almost everynight there after. I use old bakery that I get from a supplier. I go through about 1500 pounds of bakery per year along with about 500 pounds of corn. Each bait site get a 5 gallon pail of bait per night, with either molasses or old deepfryer grease poured over the top.

I live in a "grizzly recovery area" so I can only use natural baits, nothing that can be assocated with humans (bacon grease, bakery goods, corn, etc) So that means that about the only thing we can use is meat scrapes.
The soonest we can put a bait out is 7 days before archery season starts.

JB,

In Washington, its now illegal
mad.gif

Heres what we used. Carmel corn.Yep, I had
a customer my company sold butter to who gave
me giant garbage bags of the stuff. I think
alot of bears were around 150lbs pre season.
We bulked those bad boys up to huge weights.
Me brother Craig shot a 400pounder.
biggrin.gif
Bears
have a definate sweet tooth that will get them in alot of trouble.

------------------
owl176x171.jpg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back