Yeti GOBOX Collection

How crowded is it? (otc CO)

In the last two years hunting an OTC unit in CO I've seen a total of 7 people, and we camped right next to the trail. Albeit a few miles in, and this past year was 1st rifle so less people in the woods. Both years I've seen a dozen or so people at the trailhead who said they were going where we were...never saw a hint of any of them.

I usually spend 30 nights (not days) in the San Juans from July 15 to September 30. I see hunters every, single, day during season -- because I'm looking for them as much as I'm looking for game.

In 2002 when I started going there were a few people archery hunting.

Last year I decided that everybody must have told everybody. Literally the numbers have tripled in the unit I hunt. Elk just dont respond well to calling anymore in that unit after the second week.

Would like to start elk hunting this fall. All i have is one point in WY. May put in for GEN there but will probably shoot for OTC CO. My fall work schedule is always up in the air so i dont know if i will be bow or rifle hunting. Just wondering how crowded is the public ground. Ive never hunted public ground anywhere so i have no idea. How are the people to deal with? I would hope to make friends and learn a lot but wonder if it may go the other way. Thanks SB ( i take that back i prairie dog hunted public ground a couple times in WY. Had one rancher tell me to leave, and one retired state police officer tell me to stay)

I have hunted CO both OTC and draw in the same unit (52). This year I draw the limited entry first season tag and found it more crowded than the OTC second season. Not sure that is a typical experience, but that was my experience this year.

Like Husker said,... walking in 8.5 miles and camping for the week put us within a mile of 4 camps of people. (most with horses) - so the moral is, going farther doesn't always get you away from the crowds, it just put us into a different crowd. Next is getting one out of there, and honestly the last time we went there I was almost glad we didn't shoot one back there.

Like Husker said,... walking in 8.5 miles and camping for the week put us within a mile of 4 camps of people. (most with horses) - so the moral is, going farther doesn't always get you away from the crowds, it just put us into a different crowd. Next is getting one out of there, and honestly the last time we went there I was almost glad we didn't shoot one back there.
This is a good point. If you can get beyond the day hunters but not quite as far as the outfitter/horse pack camps, you can find some good hunting. Sometimes you have to get crafty in your approach.

You'll likely see some other hunters in most all OTC units during most all seasons; just the nature of it. If you can come after the first 2-3 days, hunter traffic will be less.

You will likely see quite a few people. Like NC2 said, after about 2 days people thin out fast. I'll never complain about being able to prowl the high country with pack and rifle every year.

One thing I overlooked on my CO OTC hunt is rifle bear season. I probably saw just as many bear hunters as elk hunters.

I guess when I think about it there is a hunter in every other thicket,ditchline, or woods around here opening morning of deer firearm season. We just have a bunch of property lines to keep us separated. Sounds like as long as you give each other some space all is well. I’m planning on giving it a try. Thanks all

One thing I overlooked on my CO OTC hunt is rifle bear season. I probably saw just as many bear hunters as elk hunters.
I would not have thought about the rifle bear season that runs during the month of September.

I have hunted OTC archery twice in Colorado. Some of the trail heads had tons of trucks and stock trailers. The guys with horses went way deeper than I wanted to on foot. I figured other hunters hunted close to the road. I kinda got in the middle and never seen another hunter. Unfortunately I never seen an elk either. Like others have said, there is so much ground out West you can get away from people. You should just go and find out for yourself. It will be an amazing experience you won’t regret.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back