Caribou Gear Tarp

How Clean is Clean, Muzzleloaders

For my in line I use BH 209 powder and Thor all copper bullets. My cleaning process is the same as my center fire rifles. Also remember to clean your brushes and jags with break clean so they won't leave a false impression of a dirty barrel.

Hot water soapy Dawn and brush brush brush rinse with very hot water air dry the light coat of oil or better T/C Bore Butter.

Hot water soapy Dawn and brush brush brush rinse with very hot water air dry the light coat of oil or better T/C Bore Butter.
Clean my cap locksx2 and .50 cal mtn pistol like that.......
use old plastic containers like 1 gal vinegar or even 1 qt. milk carton just hot soapy water...pump water up and down until clean....
bore butter after barrel is dry......has worked for years......easy-simple and cheap.
..........after drying barrel, I drop a smaller than bore size aluminum foil ball down the bore....with a penlight type flashlight, shine it down bore ...when you get it right, you will be SURPRISED how bright it reflects inside and you will see how clean your bore is.......OR is not !!! better than a $$$ bore light.

Last edited:
I use BH 209 powder and M9ntana BH 209 bore cleaner in my Traditions Vortek Strikefire 50 cal. I scrubbed the barrel with wet patches & a brush until it was clean. Then dry patched it when I felt it was clean (from breech end gook always picks up from breech plug threads). Then I put 2 patches wet with Rem Oil throigh the barrel. When I got the gun out in the fall, there was rust in the barrel in one spot. (The rust as brushed out & the barrel cleaned, then readied for shooting & hunting. No pitting as the rust wasn’t deep & the gun shot fine.)

iMHO - BH 209 is NOT corrosibe free. I suggest checking the gun now & then during the off season, remove the breech plug to be sure all is ok. I also don’t think it as clean shooting as purported to be in my experience, but I don’t know of anything better other than smokeless (can’t use) powders.

I've been cleaning my percussion cap the same way as this for decades. after the hot soapy water and running dry patches thru it I will then coat it with bore butter.

Inlines are easier to clean with the breachplug coming out, sounds like what you're doing is good enough. Just be sure to coat the barrel with bore butter or something similar before putting it up until next season or next time you shoot it.
Ditto

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back