Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

how big was your first?

I have treed more bear than I can count, but I have yet to shoot one :(
There is a mean bear whare we hunt we call him "Earl" We have ran him for 6 hours and he just wont tree! I have seen him several times and would bet he would weigh at least 400lbs.

36-24-36........ AND SHE WAS 5'6".........

uHHHHHHH Bears ya said... I thought Ya meant something else :D :D

Mine was Maybe 5' and about 100-120 LBS. HEll Maybe it was Only 80 Lbs... I don't know
Can Anyone Judge it for Me ?~?~ I suck at Guessing

Heres what it looked like dead,

Bear.jpg

Here's what it looked like In a rug:

omounts.jpg

do you think most first time bear hunters end up "settling" on the first bear they see? i know how big i'd like my first to be but also know i get a bit anxious too. you know the "get have it, get get it!!!" mind frame.

C.C. I would "BET" that the Average Hunter Will shoot the First bear that comes in........ I know I did, ANd I would have done it again :D :D

I would let bears walk now, BUT only if they were Small... I haven't gotten to a point that I would let an Average bear go yet.... But thats just me.

HAve ya Finalized up your Bear plans yet C.C. ?~?~?

CC, My first and only bear weighed maybe 150 lbs. I would shoot him again if I hadn't killed one. I am going to try for a bigger one this year but, if the quota is getting close to being filled I may just settle for another small one. I aint picky...:D

moosie i did!! i am going to be going with BUCKSHOT the end of next may!! i can't wait!!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 10 August 2001 13:10: Message edited by: californiacoyotes ]</font>

CC......It depends on what ya hold out for, if ya live in bear country and go unguided it all depends on what ya want especially as your first bear. Usually most people take the first one they see. I did the same for my firsyt bear a female that weighed about 100 lbs(guesstimate) and was 4'8" she was 18 years old.
I would suggest ya listen to the guys at Buckshot they will know the area and the size of bears there and quantity. If the say a 100 lber is small for the area then I'd wait and hold off for a big one(unless it is the last day) Some places have 400 lb+ bears so depends on the area etc what size will be around and how many.
I passed on a 200 lb+ cinnamon last year I thought he was a grizz when I first saw him due to color phase, I already have one and was looking for a black with my bow as my next bear. Kinda regret it now a little as I went home with no deer or elk also up there.
Hope this helps.
Chris

My first was just over 200 pounds and aged at 23.5 years old.

The one I got last night went 150 pounds and by looking at the teeth I am guessing between 12 and 16 years old.

I did take a couple pics with my digital camera...but I left it in our meat room...
I will be butchering today so I will pick it up and try to post tonight..

My first black bear weighed approx. 250 pounds. Hair later slipped on the hide so couldn't get a rug. The meat was good.

Second was about 400 pounds, and squared a bit over six feet. I have a beautiful rug from him. Skull is 19 3/4". Meat on this bear was also very good.

Both were killed in Calif., one in the central Sierra, the 250 pounder north of the Eel River in Shasta County.

L.W.

Back