Yeti GOBOX Collection

Horse Hunting

ida homer

I’m gonna explore buying horses/mules over the next 6 months.
I’ll be honest, this is a daunting endeavor. Probably how a flat lander feels when beginning to research a backcountry elk hunt out west for the first time.

My wife and her family have been horse people for 25 years, but not for hunting. English, the arena and local shows for fun, etc. They have 3.

They can help me with the basics, but this is a whole new ball game.

1). Does anyone in the Boise area on here use horses or mules?

2). Does anyone have any good books to recommend?

I would love to hook up with someone experienced to just soak in some knowledge and ask some questions. The good, the bad and the ugly. I’m gonna really stew and research this for 6 months, and then make a decision yay or nay.

Good book = Packin’ in on Mules and Horses by Smoke Elser/Bill Brown

Excellent book. I can loan you mine if you want. I have a few other general horsemanship and training books.

I’m no expert, but I did a fair bit of horse packing and trained a few colts. If you want I’ll PM you my number and you can call me if that’s easier.

Excellent book. I can loan you mine if you want. I have a few other general horsemanship and training books.

I’m no expert, but I did a fair bit of horse packing and trained a few colts. If you want I’ll PM you my number and you can call me if that’s easier.

PM sent. Thanks guys, I’ll order that book.

You should keep updating this thread with your progress. I'm very interested to follow along... only I want to go the burro route.

Id be happy to talk to you sometime. I am no expert but I have used horses to hunt off and on for 10-15 years and know some top notch local horse trainers and breeders.
My best advice is this - if a horse is for sale then you dont want it. Go make an offer on the horses that they aren't selling.

Id be happy to talk to you sometime. I am no expert but I have used horses to hunt off and on for 10-15 years and know some top notch local horse trainers and breeders.
My best advice is this - if a horse is for sale then you dont want it. Go make an offer on the horses that they aren't selling.

Beware of the “bomb proof” horse for sale. I much prefer to buy young horses. Then I can be the one to screw them up :ROFLMAO:

This one is on boise craigslist right now.
Its all about the ears, this horse is obviously upset with the situation. Probably trying to resist the urge to launch the little mutt behind it $3000 and this beauty comes home with you! :)00S0S_jUA6LDCi9K8_600x450.jpg

Its all about the ears, this horse is obviously upset with the situation. Probably trying to resist the urge to launch the little mutt behind it $3000 and this beauty comes home with you! :)View attachment 120283

They will probably get what they are asking, just because of his color. Never base your search on color.

They will probably get what they are asking, just because of his color. Never base your search on color.
Right?!
Big strong beautiful specimen. But what happens when you are totally relaxed riding through the sage and a jack rabbit explodes out from under it?
Being a novice I tend to like gentle ears and kind eyes.

^^^^ that is 100% the truth. Grew up with a few horses and have a good buddy that rodeo'd and still trains and sells. He told that saying more than once. One time I bought my dad a horse, thought I did a good job. He came over to look at it and shook his head. Said take it back, if you want a horse let me find you one and train it, this one is trash. If you can find a good one, get it trained with a few mules, and you are set. It does not get any better than a backcountry hunt packed in on stock. Have fun and keep us updated.

1) You have to really like Horses. A hunt on a horse you dislike or don't respect can be hell.
2) But you have to have a degree of "oh well, He'll be fine tied by himself on the mountain for 6 hours" while you go try a sneak on a bull or buck. This is not the time to be worrying about your wife's Prix St. George dressage horse
3) You need to be willing to designate some time for horse care during your hunt. Grazing midday and keeping an eye open isn't as restful. Getting up an hour earlier to catch and grain and saddle horses before riding out, and taking care of horses after dark in the evening is a real additional time suck.
4) Maybe consider rotating wrangler duties during the hunt day. The guy who brings the horses down to where you are gonna meet at the bottom of the draw. The guy who is gonna pony the pack horse, the guy who is gonna take the horses to feed and water during the day... the guy who is gonna catch horses when you run into a bull on the trail and everyone else bails off to shoot....
5) Getting horses in shape before the hunt. Big commitment. Look up Back Country Horsemen Chapters in your area. Some are good, and some are WELLLL.....
Start with group trail rides and summer overnights. If you don't like those, don't take a horse hunting...

It is a lot like hunting birds with a dog. There are some days it is more about the dog than limiting out. Same is true with a horse.

Hope that gives a perspective from someone who has been there...The Bill Brown Smoke Elser book recommendation is a good one too!

Thanks for the detailed responses and experiences.

This will be an enlightening journey, one way or another. Will report back as I read some more and come up with some more questions.

1) You have to really like Horses. A hunt on a horse you dislike or don't respect can be hell.
2) But you have to have a degree of "oh well, He'll be fine tied by himself on the mountain for 6 hours" while you go try a sneak on a bull or buck. This is not the time to be worrying about your wife's Prix St. George dressage horse
3) You need to be willing to designate some time for horse care during your hunt. Grazing midday and keeping an eye open isn't as restful. Getting up an hour earlier to catch and grain and saddle horses before riding out, and taking care of horses after dark in the evening is a real additional time suck.
4) Maybe consider rotating wrangler duties during the hunt day. The guy who brings the horses down to where you are gonna meet at the bottom of the draw. The guy who is gonna pony the pack horse, the guy who is gonna take the horses to feed and water during the day... the guy who is gonna catch horses when you run into a bull on the trail and everyone else bails off to shoot....
5) Getting horses in shape before the hunt. Big commitment. Look up Back Country Horsemen Chapters in your area. Some are good, and some are WELLLL.....
Start with group trail rides and summer overnights. If you don't like those, don't take a horse hunting...

It is a lot like hunting birds with a dog. There are some days it is more about the dog than limiting out. Same is true with a horse.

Hope that gives a perspective from someone who has been there...The Bill Brown Smoke Elser book recommendation is a good one too!

Good advice. I’ve left mine tied up all day before.

I would recommend a good horse over a mule if you’re just starting out. Then when you feel comfortable look for a “good” mule that’s for sale. People don’t sell good mules for anything less than an arm and a leg. Cheep mules will end up costing you more than a good one in the end.

Its all about the ears, this horse is obviously upset with the situation. Probably trying to resist the urge to launch the little mutt behind it $3000 and this beauty comes home with you! :)View attachment 120283
no,,hes listening for sound behind,,he looks good but 3k is a lot of bikkies

Horses, Hitches, and Rocky Trails, by Joe Back is a really good book. Horses are like anything in life, such as bird dogs and hounds, the more time you spend with them the better they get. People shouldn’t abuse them and their needs should come first. We have bought several $1,000 horses over the years and they have turned out good, but all had some type of issue/phobia. And take daily work.
Don’t buy a face-paced horse, best to have one that doesn’t get any faster than a walk for trail riding/hunting purposes. And don’t buy a horse that is already tacked up when you go to look at it. Horse traders are like houndsmen, they aren’t going to sell their best dogs. They mostly all lie when their mouth are moving. If you find a horse with old saddle sores its likely one that doesn’t buck and is likely a good horse, but has been mistreated. Try to buy horses from people moving, getting divorces, sick, broke, or such. I’m not a horse trainer, or packer or such, but do enjoy riding and spending time around them. Some of the craziest people on earth are modern day “Horse Women”. Good luck in your search.

no,,hes listening for sound behind,,he looks good but 3k is a lot of bikkies

You could be right you would need to observe the horse in a few different situations but When I see hypoactive ears I tend to see a horse that gets spooked easily. Not that it cant be de sensitized but why buy someone else's problem for 3k?
Fyi he is down to $2500 better hurry!
00202_k5lxtDTNpbe_600x450.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back