hornady sst

magnum_kid

Hey i was reading about these new hornady sst bullets and they sound quite sensational on big-game even though they are polymer tipped.Has anyone had any experiances with these new and apparently potent pills?good or bad.thanks
later
mk :D :D

If you go back to April 4, there is a Ballistic Tip topic, and Tom talks about the SSTs in light magnum ammo in his .30-06. He was going to stop using them since they were not penetrating as well on hogs as he would like, having lost one after it was hit and no blood trail. They seemed less tough than the regular Hornady Interlock.

The SSTs seem tougher than a Ballistic Tip, but not as stout as a Partition. Good for big deer, maybe not good for elk or hogs. A regular Interlock may work better on tougher game without the fast expansion from the polymer tip. From what I see and hear, they'd be good on deer and antelope.

magnumkid, 2 buddies of mine and I used them on Caribou up in Quebec last Sept. I used 150gr out of a 30-06, and one of my partners used his in a 280 with the 139gr. We took 6 bulls with 6 shots total. Ranges were anywhere from maybe 50yds to around 180yds. All of em dropped in short order. I was impressed with them.
Accuracy was quite good, especially at longer distances compared to some of the other bullets we tried. Wound channels were consistant and penetration was "as advertised".

Shot placement (as always) is the key to good results.

Now I realize that 'bou are not known for being tough to bring down, if fact, if you shoot one, the one next to him may fall down and think he's dead.:D So keep this in mind when trying to make a comparison.

They are worth a try, there are a lot worse out there in my opinion.WD

Yup, Yup, they'll kill deer, pronghorn, and the like as well as anything alse, and they're more accurate tahn just about anything else I've tried.

I've used them in 7mm, .308, and .270 caliber, and am awaiting their arrival in 6.5 mm.

For a bullet that is not a custom and also without the custom price. I would use them anywhere! And on anything in the lower 48. They shoot better than the Gamekings, and the Noslers in close to the same weights. I am waiting like WD for them to come out in other cal. and weights. Trust me, try them and you will like them. I dropped two Caribou with one shot each with a 280 using them! I have faith in them also! Hope this helps!
Mike Murphy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back