Hornady ARC

Sure it is intriguing. I use my AR15 for short range, ie less than 200 yards or so, and not as a long range carbine. Is it going to be a long range cartridge in carbine or rifle length barrel? I don’t really know. If I was looking for something like a longer or middle range AR I would put together a .260 or 7mm-08. I think your goals should determine the value of this new Option. Another question is whether or not it is much better than a .223 with a 77g TMK? Just my thoughts.

It looks to be about the best ballistics you can cram into an AR15 package. I've been planning a 6.5 Grendel build to go on a SBR Fightlite SCR lower to make a really light compact rifle for my nieces and nephews to hunt with. Something they can carry and shoot themselves. The ARC is promising for sure, the broad support is a huge benefit. With more weight and velocity than heavy for caliber 223, it is super tempting. Having built and shot AR10s, they're not really in the conversation just to get up to short action cartridges.

I’m leaning towards a 6.5 Grendel build myself. I want it for a 250yd max rifle that will work in the AR platform so that I can use it for kids. My som will be 6 next year, and that collapsible stock is easy to adjust for a shorter LOP. The 6 ARC looks kinda cool, but I’ll lean towards a 123gr bullet at a slightly lower velocity to get the job done

Everything I've seen on the 6mm ARC has been impressive thus far, however in stating this I also realize that everything is coming from the manufacturer of the cartridge in question. Hornady has been on a roll these last few years, introducing new cartridges that have took off, the 6.5 & 300 PRC, .375 Ruger, etc.. I myself am looking to probably build myself one as well in the near future.

Sure it is intriguing. I use my AR15 for short range, ie less than 200 yards or so, and not as a long range carbine. Is it going to be a long range cartridge in carbine or rifle length barrel? I don’t really know. If I was looking for something like a longer or middle range AR I would put together a .260 or 7mm-08. I think your goals should determine the value of this new Option. Another question is whether or not it is much better than a .223 with a 77g TMK? Just my thoughts.
The first few paragraphs of the article link I posted explain the wished for design intent and the achieved outcome. I'm newb when it comes to analyzing ammo specs but it seems to me they did what they set out to do according to the clients demands. Also, the round seems to perform well out of either carbine or rifle barrels.

Everything I've seen on the 6mm ARC has been impressive thus far, however in stating this I also realize that everything is coming from the manufacturer of the cartridge in question. Hornady has been on a roll these last few years, introducing new cartridges that have took off, the 6.5 & 300 PRC, .375 Ruger, etc.. I myself am looking to probably build myself one as well in the near future.

Like all mfrs, they already have ideas mapped out for more product twists to sell me things I don't know I need, yet.

Like all mfrs, they already have ideas mapped out for more product twists to sell me things I don't know I need, yet.
Honestly, I believe the 6mm ARC was created with military applications in mind to replace the 5.56, and would have much better long range capabilities as was needed in the Afghan theatre.

It’s been around for a while as the 6mm Grendel. This is the commercialized version. It has the same weaknesses as the 6.5 Grendel. Mostly not enough metal in the bolt face. I tried to use one in LR gas gun matches for a couple of years. I finally gave up because of bolt failures and broken extractors.
I’ve also used the 6.8 SPC. If I wanted to build a small fame hunting AR for 300 yds and in, it would be the SPC. It was very lethal on deer and pigs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back