Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Horn Hunter Packs?

RyanSoNorCal

Anyone have any info on Horn Hunter packs? Looking for a decent day pack to maybe overnight. I would really like to just pull the trigger on an Exo K3 system but just don’t have the funds right now. I’ve been doing a lot of research and looking at Horn Hunter’s Mainbeam XL or the Full Curl System. I’m a KUIU supporter but been hearing not so good things on their packs.

If you want an Exo pack , then wait a bit longer until you can get the funds together. No sense in buying a pack you don't really want to then spend the money on the one you wanted in the first place. As for the Horn Hunter packs, I haven't heard good or bad about them. As for the Exo packs , Mystery Ranch, and Stone Glacier I've heard nothing but good things, Kuiu packs I've heard good and bad.

I have a full curl system. It is more than adequate for my hunting and camping. I think in general the higher end packs are lighter but I can't justify the extra money based on my limited use. If I went out west every year and needed more than a daypack for most of my hunting it would be different.

I had a full curl once. It didn't work for me. It was too heavy and awkward. I use a kuiu icon 3300 now and it is comfortable, light and packs a heavy load. Its seems like there are a fair amount of used packs available if you are looking to save some money. Rokslide is a good place to watch.

I have a Full Curl. Generally speaking I like it. Lots of pockets, really like the "bat wing" things on the side - they fit my tripod perfectly. Carries a load just fine once I get everything adjusted correctly. It is on the heavy side though. The only real negative is that my frame developed a squeak and the manufacturer was supposed to send me something to put over the frame but never did (hockey tape should do the trick though whenever I get around to it). There are nicer and lighter packs for sure but they cost significantly more and quite frankly, it is perfectly fine for my once a year trip.

I have the Full Curl Combo and it's a little heavy, the padding for the shoulders and waist are ok and it does squeak a little bit when loaded up. I've packed up to about 80 lbs max with it and it worked fine. I don't have a high end pack so I can't comment on them, but I've felt like the FCC was a good pack for what I paid and I've probably packed 8 animals with it over the 7 years years I've owned it. I use it for antelope and deer hunting out west and I'm happy with it but will eventually upgrade.

Thanks for the info. Thinking about spending a bit more and getting the Mystery Ranch Sawtooth. Not sure yet as the FCC has everything I need for my 1-2 multiple nights hunts a year. Mostly day hunts with a trailer so I really don’t need a whole lot of room.

I had the horn hunter thing. Switched to the Sawtooth this year. It was a good decision. Way more comfortable when hauling out an animal and not that much more expensive. Mystery Ranch was all 20% off last weekend and I think will be again for Black Friday.

I had the horn hunter thing. Switched to the Sawtooth this year. It was a good decision. Way more comfortable when hauling out an animal and not that much more expensive. Mystery Ranch was all 20% off last weekend and I think will be again for Black Friday.
Right on! Thanks for the info!

Like most I accumulate a little new gear every year. I no longer buy the "get me by" stuff until I can afford what I want. I've spent plenty of money on stuff that is low quality and you end up purchasing multiple times.

If you know what you want, save for it. When people ask what you want for your birthday/Christmas, you say a giftcard toward that item.

Like most I accumulate a little new gear every year. I no longer buy the "get me by" stuff until I can afford what I want. I've spent plenty of money on stuff that is low quality and you end up purchasing multiple times.

If you know what you want, save for it. When people ask what you want for your birthday/Christmas, you say a giftcard toward that item.
I couldn’t agree more.. I already asked for exo and S&S archery gift cards 🤣

I got a Horn Hunter full curl system this year with the canvas meat bag, out the door for right around $290. In general I think it's a well made pack, but I definitely think they could shave some weight, and improve the harness system all in one shot. The straps are overly thick, and too narrow, so they create pressure points. They could shave weight by using a thinner material in the padding and still spread them out a bit, they're awful thick. That's my only substantial complaint. Apparently a KUIU belt will fit on the frame as a swap out. The small attachment bag could be much lighter as well, it weighs more than the big bag. It has extra padding where the rifle loops are on the back that isn't necessary, and they use extra thick material. It's a tough little bag with lots of pockets, but a bit over done. I fixed the squeaks with some gorilla tape around the frame, then it's there for emergencies as well. The load lifter attachment points are a bit too close together for me as well, so the big bag can slide over the frame. It pulls the load lifter straps inward on my traps, which would be a bit more comfy if they were spaced further apart. I have pretty big wide shoulders though, so might not matter for some. I've thought about adding a new attachment point but it hasn't bothered me enough to worry about it yet.

The set up works well for me as I usually do long (all) day hunts and can get away with just the frame and meat bag. The frame has a ton of storage between the wings and the drop down pouches, hydration pouch and belt pouches. I just throw extra gear in the meat bag during the hunt, and strap it on if need to pack out. Straps are not lacking, you can strap about anything to the frame. I carried a climbing tree stand on it during archery season and honestly it was easy enough to stalk around with the treestand strapped on while hauling it in and out. I can fit enough for an overnight (warm weather) in the small bag. The weapon pouch that normally attaches to the back I've been hanging off the side to do a side sling and that works well.

If most of my hunting were backcountry I'd go with a lighter high end pack. If they came out with a new harness system and shaved 3/4 pound off the frame and a pound off the small bag it would be an incredible deal for under $300. But considering the step up from an alps hip bag and going back to the truck for my 25 year old Camp Trails frame pack after a kill, I'm pretty happy with it for now. Probably give it to one of kids once they grow into it, at which point I'll cough up for a pricey one!

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back