Hoppe in the news again

Yup, he done made himself the poor rancher victim. Apparently he couldn't get wolves to eat his calves so he brought in sheep.

Love the fact that there is 1 less wolf out there around Jardine. But hate the fact he brought sheep in to do this. I've seen some mighty nice sheep across the river from his place and in the valley.

Love the fact that there is 1 less wolf out there around Jardine. But hate the fact he brought sheep in to do this. I've seen some mighty nice sheep across the river from his place and in the valley.

Get rid of the domestic sheep, get rid of the conflict. He shot a wolf that was baited in, not one of the depredating ones. Just because he hates wildlife doesn't mean his actions should get a pass.

Time to buy the SOB out.

Get rid of the domestic sheep, get rid of the conflict. He shot a wolf that was baited in, not one of the depredating ones. Just because he hates wildlife doesn't mean his actions should get a pass.

Time to buy the SOB out.

I've read some ignorant comments on many forums - this one may be in the top two, can't remember the other one 👎

I've read some ignorant comments on many forums - this one may be in the top two, can't remember the other one 👎

And if was anyone one else I'd agree. He brought those sheep in knowing it would cause conflict, and more than likely banking on it.

I've read some ignorant comments on many forums - this one may be in the top two, can't remember the other one ��

Dude, since I'm somewhat familiar with what is actually going on down there, I will nominate your own comment as "the other one." The sheep are also endangering the bison and bighorns in the Park. Hoppe is just causing trouble because that is what he likes to do.

Last edited:
Dude, since I'm somewhat familiar with what is actually going on down there, I will nominate your own comment as "the other one." The sheep are also endangering the bison and bighorns in the Park. Hoppe is just causing trouble because that is what he likes to do.

Well, you are more than entitled to your one sided opinion beings you are "somewhat familiar with what is going on down there". I am somewhat familiar with what has been going on down there for the last 30 years.

I think you and Ben need to pony up and go down there and buy him out. I'm sure he'd sure listen to any offers.

Then you know exactly what Ben, and RobG are talking about. Why the sarcasm?

Hoppe is using livestock to disrupt wildlife. It's well know he hates Bison, and knows full well the threat that sheep pose to them.

He hates wolves, and knows how attracted they are to sheep.

What's ignorant about what Ben posted? It's all true.

So what was Hoppe doing with the sheep?

If he doesn't like living and ranching were he is and dealing with Yellowstone wildlife, he is also more than welcome to sell and buy a place in another location. He could probably buy a county in Nebraska with what he gets for his MT property. No wolves, no Bison. Win, Win.

living and ranching were(sic) he is and dealing with Yellowstone wildlife
From what I know, he has been primarily an outfitter and a successful one, benefiting lucratively from Yellowstone wildlife for many decades. Since 1995 and the wolf debacle, he has suffered from the Gardiner area outfitter doldrums. There used to be thousands of elk taken just north of Yellowstone each year, now not so many. I believe he is bitter, and rightfully so. It would surprise me if the sheep venture was anything but a ruse to somehow get back at the wolves. But that is merely my perspective and I certainly don't know his motives with any certainty. I have met the man and with a positive impression, but I think he, like many others of us, is very unhappy about the severe decline in the number of northern Yellowstone elk.

From what I know, he has been primarily an outfitter and a successful one, benefiting lucratively from Yellowstone wildlife for many decades. Since 1995 and the wolf debacle, he has suffered from the Gardiner area outfitter doldrums. There used to be thousands of elk taken just north of Yellowstone each year, now not so many. I believe he is bitter, and rightfully so. It would surprise me if the sheep venture was anything but a ruse to somehow get back at the wolves. But that is merely my perspective and I certainly don't know his motives with any certainty. I have met the man and with a positive impression, but I think he, like many others of us, is very unhappy about the severe decline in the number of northern Yellowstone elk.

If he doesn't like living and ranching where(no more sic) he is and dealing with Yellowstone wildlife, he is also more than welcome to sell and buy a place in another location. He could probably buy a county in Nebraska with what he gets for his MT property. No wolves, no Bison. Win, Win.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back