Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hope dies last.

Nice point by the small fry on a covey. She held it a long time while Roach mounted. I got a clean flush with Roach slightly upwind in great position and at a respectable height. The huns went downwind, flying a long way. As good of a slip as one can ask for.

Roach didn’t stoop them.

Really questioning my choices in life…

I have to say this isn't the first nor will it be the last of these falconry threads I read.
I just found this today and have really enjoyed the read. I would love to someday get an

American Kestrel or a Peregrine and hunt grouse and ptarmigan here in Alaska. I don't know if it will ever really be in the cards - maybe when the 5 kids are all outta school and moved out.

We just got our first dog - a Pudelpointer (no not a poodle mix) and are training her. She is fantastic and we love it. I can imagine the freedom and joy of a raptor, I'm also a private pilot and loved watching the American Kestrel we had living at the airport as he hovered and hunted all over inside the fence where no one could bother him.

Great write up - keep it up!

I have to say this isn't the first nor will it be the last of these falconry threads I read.
I just found this today and have really enjoyed the read. I would love to someday get an

American Kestrel or a Peregrine and hunt grouse and ptarmigan here in Alaska. I don't know if it will ever really be in the cards - maybe when the 5 kids are all outta school and moved out.

We just got our first dog - a Pudelpointer (no not a poodle mix) and are training her. She is fantastic and we love it. I can imagine the freedom and joy of a raptor, I'm also a private pilot and loved watching the American Kestrel we had living at the airport as he hovered and hunted all over inside the fence where no one could bother him.

Great write up - keep it up!
Just a point of clarification.

American kestrels are no match for a ptarmigan. They mostly eat small rodents (mice, volles, etc), grasshoppers, and occasional small birds (starling or robin size). Dont get me wrong, they are fun little birds. I flew one once. The dumpsters and grease trap behind the local McDonalds is a great place to find some starlings on the routine - highly recommend!

I hope I didnt kill your dreams.

American kestrels are no match for a ptarmigan. They mostly eat small rodents (mice, volles, etc), grasshoppers, and occasional small birds (starling or robin size). Dont get me wrong, they are fun little birds. I flew one once. The dumpsters and grease trap behind the local McDonalds is a great place to find some starlings on the routine - highly recommend!

Oh no, I know how small the kestrels are. I used to watch the little male at our field. I was so surprised. Y the coloration. I looked into falconry a bit back then and thought if I ever did it those two would be my top two picks. I understand, they are only like 12 inches I think!

And killing pesky Starlings would be a blast.

I love kestrels. So cool to watch them. Kind of a crappy pic, but it was cool to watch this guy pull off the fur and enjoy his meal. Exhibit A for eating small rodents.
20191215_152925.jpg

Roach is finally a real boy. Chicken. Bird. Something.

Went up to a stubble bench today. Brought Greta Grouse and Ms Olive since it’s a good flat spot with holes and stuff. Greta went on point within minutes.

Roach went up, I let him get 400 ft or so, made my way to the point the released the grouse. She charged 10 yards or so then locked up again. I waited for Roach to be in position again, this time higher.

We repeated this a few more times. Greta’s initial point was probably 80 yards from the covey.

When they finally went, Roach was at 800’ or so. Down he came.

The cover was fairly close but he beat them there, knocking one down just feet from cover. He pitched back up then hit it again on the ground.

The hun got up but clearly couldn’t fly so good anymore, making it 10’ or so before being grabbed.

That’s one in the bag.

D724577C-3403-48B7-ACFC-8F1B240E2EAA.jpegC8EC1B95-ED26-43E6-B918-CD826760E0E5.jpegA5AA4CF1-800D-414F-AD9A-3722A643971B.jpeg598A68E0-2B8B-411D-B4BC-B07D12429ACE.jpeg

So that’s it for the updates. The training process updates, anyway. He is a successful falconry bird. It’s going to get both easier and harder from here. He knows he can kill huns and he should have figured out that it’s A LOT easier than killing a strong homing pigeon. The snow looks like it is here to stay - tho, that can always change - and once it’s deep and crusty enough it becomes hard to get to a lot of the birds, for me and the dogs. Luckily I have pigeons and he is a tiercel so he will be happy.

I’ll post any interesting flights and any pitchers I take, of course.

I hope you all enjoyed reading about the process.

Tomorrow is another day!

Back