Caribou Gear

Honest, down to reason Opinions request...

BTW, I sold a Rem. 700, SPS, SS, 300WSM that I took to Africa and NZ. Plain Jane 700 that I had a brake installed and pillar bedded. Shot sub 1” @100 yds. Great Plains game rifle. I should be horse whipped for doing so. Took my mtn. goat with it also. What a dummy I am. It sported a 24” bbl. and the Rem. Tupperware stock. Good shooter. Became a safe queen and sold it. MTG

Big horn origin Long action. Easy to rebarrel with a pencil barrel 7mm rem mag and it would loose an easy 3 lbs and match the Remington 700 in weight at 7.5 lbs with scope.

BC88DD7A-E733-4AF5-BFEC-77D2D74307FC.jpeg

ETA…

Zermatt Arms now also has a titanium receiver for even more weight savings too.

Last edited:
Bbl. is 26” with a synthetic stock. I weigh in around 175# plus/minus. Recoil has never been an issue but can be a factor if severe for anyone. I’ve owned very heavy recoiling rifles and shotguns that punished but never bothered me too much accuracy wise. MTG
Cutting the barrel back to 24" isn't going to drop much weight. The real savings is a lighter contour.

BTW, I sold a Rem. 700, SPS, SS, 300WSM that I took to Africa and NZ. Plain Jane 700 that I had a brake installed and pillar bedded. Shot sub 1” @100 yds. Great Plains game rifle. I should be horse whipped for doing so. Took my mtn. goat with it also. What a dummy I am. It sported a 24” bbl. and the Rem. Tupperware stock. Good shooter. Became a safe queen and sold it. MTG
How did it feed?

Oregunsmithing (pendleton stocks) does lightweight stocks for pretty much any rifle, even Sako 85s which is very similar to the A7’s footprint. You might shoot him an email about them as well.

Last edited:
Big horn origin Long action. Easy to rebarrel with a pencil barrel 7mm rem mag and it would loose an easy 3 lbs and match the Remington 700 in weight at 7.5 lbs with scope.

View attachment 249908

ETA…

Sling that wierd thing on your shoulder and you'll wish you had a " conventional" heavy rifle. Ouch! You'll get poked everywhere.

That would of been a perfect foundation for a 7mm mag build. I would seriously look at picking up a action and building what you want. A Pierce engineering action is worth every penny and is in a Rem 700 foot print. You will spend more money that way but if you want to hand down a rifle a production rifle doesn’t have the flair a custom one you chose the parts on does.

Production have no soul, custom builds do.

If you call Pierce they can do whatever you want from just the action to a complete build. Jim and his staff do great work and are a low key place. They mainly do contract work for specific agencies that demand perfection. I’ve had 4 rifles done there and won’t go elsewhere now.

They are located in Lansing MI if you want to google them.

Sling that wierd thing on your shoulder and you'll wish you had a " conventional" heavy rifle. Ouch! You'll get poked everywhere.
Everyone’s a critic. Drop the rifle into any of a dozen aftermarket stocks then.

The ability to make a 5-6 lb bare rifle is endless what a guy wants to do. Having a 6.5-7 lb scoped rifle all depends on how much you want to spend. Easier to just build it is all than buy production.

As others have stated, a heavier gun holds better, especially offhand. I made a couple of good shots in stiff breezes this year including this coyote at 100 yards in 50 mph. 20221030_103745.jpg If I'd been shooting a 6-7 lb gun, I wouldn't have had a prayer. Even the buck I shot the next day at 60 yards in half the wind would have been dicey. As I recall my Springfield with scope etc weighs 9 lbs unloaded (it can hold six rounds total). The bipod makes it heavier but rarely have it attached unless anticipating longer shots. Should not have had it attached on those windy days hunting coulee bottoms.

A lot depends on where the weight is located. I bird hunt with the same gun I use for trap and skeet, a 1960s A-5 Magnum Twelve with 31" barrel. Not sure there was ever a heavier twelve gauge made. For pheasants and range I have switched out the magnum barrel spring and friction brakes for 2.75" spring and brake (the magnum guts are finicky cycling 2.75" rounds). It required adding a spacer to accommodate the shorter spring. Machinist wanted to make it from aluminum but I opted for stainless as unsure aluminum could take the punishment. The stainless sleeve added a LOT of weight but putting it at the receiver end of magazine tube, the gun is balanced perfectly at the back end of fore end. Perfect for carrying in one hand. And it swings beautifully. I carry it all day pheasant hunting and I'm no Charles Atlas (6' 190 lbs). I have on a couple of occasions borrowed my brother's 300 Win BAR with bipod attached. Besides being one of the heaviest hunting rifles ever made, it's definitely the most unbalanced gun I've ever held. Carrying that thing in the ready position kills my neck and back.

I guess the point I'm making is if you lighten your Sako, give some thought to keeping it balanced ... if it's possible.

Last edited:
Noharley, my old 700 SPS,SS, fed the 300WSM rounds flawlessly.
I am listening to all offered. Believe best to consider opinions and think them all over. It’s not something I have to do overnight. We do have a NZ trip planned for mid August. So, want a conclusion prior to. Grandson will accompany us to take a red stag and fallow deer. My desire is two fallows one dark one light. Also want to hunt paradise ducks for my collection. Then, foreign hunts will be curtailed. Wife says it’s time to tour and relax. She has been VERY accommodating throughout these many years. I owe her some leisurely trips. MTG

My point, as I posted earlier with the Rem 700 in a more traditional stock...
It is actually 3 lbs lighter. The biggest difference is only in the barrel. Pencil Factory vs a Heavy Varmint. Otherwise, the lengths are the same etc. Take your pick which you want.

The right composite stock frome a dozen manufacturers, with a titanium action and a carbon fiber barrel like from Proof, probably have himself a 5 lb rifle. In a magnum, it would be a bruiser.

Last edited:
Stainless Tikka. My dad bought one 2 years ago, and it shoots .5 moa all day long. It's already a light gun, but you could throw a different stock and a brake on it and they're fun to shoot!

Gentlemen, I use this term loosely. I ordered a Tikka Superlite in a 7MMRM. This is the black stock model with the stainless bbl. and receiver. Weight described as 6.6 lbs. With my Burris compact magnum scope, rings and scope level that comes to 1.14 lbs. should weigh in about 7.75 lbs. A bit heavier than I anticipated or wanted but minimal weight increase. Looking forward to bbl. break in and load development. Anyone have a longing for a Sako A7, LR 7MMRM? It’s going up for sale. MTG

While the above mentioned rifles are fine for the average hunter, your requirements are putting you in a very specialized arena.
Something like the Tikka & Kimber Hunter would get you closer to the weight your looking for, but bare gun. Not scoped.

Only 2 rifles & manufacturers come to mind for a true, under 7lb scoped rifle.
Both will set you back about $3,600.

First pick would be a New Ultra Light Arms model 24B.
Weight with Talley rings 5.5lbs.

Second would be a Proof Research Elevation Light Weight Hunter at 5lb 14oz.

Add a Burris Fullfield E1, 4.5-14X42 and a nylon sling, and your right at 7lb.

I should mention that with these ultra light weight rifles, most find shooting from a bench to sight scope in, do load workups can be a bit heavy feeling in the recoil deptartment. Standing/sitting with game in the scope, you don't notice it as much. ;)
Very true ultra light arms all the way

👆2nd Christensen Arms, very good build quality and guarantee sub moa. My friend has a Mesa and it feels like a very nice rifle. From my understanding, it's a 700 clone... correct me if I'm wrong.

Depending on your bank account though, the Mesa starts at $1300? It would definitely be an heirloom rifle..
Great advice

Did the OP decide? If still looking, my new Fierce is a little heavier than you specd. Think mine is 6.8# bare. Shoots very well.

View attachment 249908

ETA…

As Handsome Jack told Marie Laveau, "You're too ugly for a rich guy like me."

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back