Homer, Alaska

Schaaf

Alright Guys, it looks like my extended family is going on a vacation to Homer, Alaska next June. We'll be spending a week in a lodge and having a week to do things on our own. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do that time of year. I'm already planning on trying to get out and do some fishing for halibut and hopefully some Kings but if anyone is from around there or knows the area I would love to hear of some unknown things to do rather than what I can find on google.

Hire a water taxi to give you a ride across the bay, bring a rifle, camp gear and a bear tag or two...

Spring for the extra cash and do an extended/long range trip or overnight trip to the Gulf to fish (Chugach Island area). Its a two hour ride out of Homer, but worth it. Don't book a cheap halibut trip. Fishing right out of Homer is way over rated, you'll pay $250-300 to fish with 20 other people and catch a bunch of 12lb fish. Hopefully your trip spans the 1st of july? If so ling cod season is open. Most fun fishing you can have on the salt water, IMO. 20-40lb fish jigged similar to walleye, but the jigs are about 24oz instead of 1/2. :D

The Russian River will be fishing pretty well in June, depending on when... usually Father's Day is the peak of the run, but opens on the 11th.. A couple hours north of Homer... expect crowds. Fish super early... 2am-7am. Better fishing and avoid a lot of people, but you'll see more bears.

The king fishing will be decent in the rivers north of Homer to Kenai. Hard to say if they'll be open to fish though. King runs have been decent so far this year... been a few years. Usually open on the weekends from first part of June through the end.

Did I mention bear hunting? There are thousands of black bears on the Kenai. Many are accessible off the highway, after a mile of bush-whacking, and 1500 vertical. Get into the alpine and you'll see one or two.

Go to Hope for lunch, take a drive up Palmer Creek Road to the old Swetmann mine. The road is about 10 miles long, pretty neat drive from the valley floor to the alpine.

You could spend a couple days and hike the Resurrection Trail. Start in Hope and come out in Cooper Landing. Its about 35 miles. Pretty easy hike, can be done in two long days or better at 3, with many FS cabins to stay in/rent along the way (book in advance). Snow could be deep at the top of the pass depending on when in June you come, but the trail is prbably broke open. Should see lots of wildlife.

Check out Langille Mountain in Cooper Landing, as well as Cressent Mountain... bring spotter/binos to look at sheep and goats.

Hike to the falls at the Russian River, and then on up to the lakes. Should see bears, and goats, maybe sheep if you are lucky.

Fish rainbows on the Kenai... killer rainbow fishing. Pretty much all the clear rivers are great fishing. Most of the fisherman focus on slamon so you can have it all to your self in some instances. Check regs to see whats open...

Book a charter out of Seward of Whittier... my preference for salt fishing. Scenery is much better, and likely to see a lot more marine critters. Quicker to get into the gulf waters to fish.

Do a "glacier" tour out of Seward or Whittier, boat ride with lunch. They also have Kayak trips as well.

Went there this May. Always have the fishing. There are clam digging trips, bear watching trips, flight-seeing trips, etc... Not a big place, so not a lot of things to "do" tourist wise that don't involve water. There was a museum of some sort (didn't go) and lots of little shops out on the spit as well as in town. The Time Bandit crab boat is tied up in the harbor on the spit. Worth a picture or two if you have watched the show. You can visit the Kilcher Homestead and see where the family got their start for Alaska the Last Frontier. If you go down there, Otto's house is visible. We saw him out in the yard. The folks at the lodge should be able to steer you to the activities that are around at the time.

Contact Dave Lyon in Homer about the water taxi. He is a good hand and knows the country. (Former board member of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers and a leader in the AK chapter.) I agree a ride across Kachemak Bay and a hike at the state park is very nice, though I've never hunted it. My family fished for halibut and kings off Tractor Point (with a local guide) and did well. Canoeing in the Swan Lakes on the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge is great, with good fishing and camping.... Jeez I need to get back up there.

Can't add much over what Bambi provided. If bear viewing flight across Cook Inlet is of interest, go to Chinitna Bay in Lake Clark Nat'l Park. It's a much cheaper trip than to the KatmaI coast and you'll see just as many bears. Definitely opt for Chinitna over Silver Salmon Creek, Crescent Lake, or Wolverine Creek. Clamming is pretty much shut down on east side of Cook Inlet but if tides are right a charter out of Ninilchik will run you to Polly Creek on west side for a day. If you're into birding a day trip boat ride to the Chiswells will get you some pelagic birds. Take a water taxi to Seldovia if looking to escape Homer for a day. If wanting two days out take ferry to Kodiak and back.

Ben mentioned Dave Lyon, he's a good guy to talk to.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back