Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Homemade smokers

I’m more looking at building one for just doing jerky, bacon, and sausages
Treager has a smoke setting. Temps stay well below 150 for drying things out. I really like my treager if you haven’t noticed 😁

Another option just for jerky and such is to put a 1500w heating element in the bottom of a 55gallon drum, harbor freight router speed controller and use a smoke generator (a-maze-n-smoke)

I've built ones as big as 500 gallon propane tank, pulled on a flat bed trailer, or a 12'x12' CMU box with a concrete roof... these days I really like the simplicity of a pellet grill. My only hang up in the inability to cold smoke anything as most pellet grills have a lowest low of ~150 degrees. I'm considering building a separate "cold smoker" attachment to hook to my current pellet grill, but don't have any solid plans/ideas yet.
I added one of those to my pellet smoker to get a little more smoke while smoking meat but also for the ability to cold smoke.

Screenshot_20210927-115336_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I remember being about 5 years old, my granddad smoked a pheasant in an old 1950s era refrigerator that my uncle shot full of holes to let the smoke out. Best pheasant I have ever tasted.

Was chatting with my intern this summer and he says "here is a smoker I designed and fabricated earlier this year..."
31650.jpeg

...I said, "Yeah, you should've just sent me that pic instead of a resume."

Good hire. :)

Was chatting with my intern this summer and he says "here is a smoker I designed and fabricated earlier this year..."

...I said, "Yeah, you should've just sent me that pic instead of a resume."

Good hire. :)

We are doing some interviewing right now, I need to add questions about smoked meats to my list.

I built a simple smoker out of T&G wood when I lived in AK. I could fit 36 salmon fillets in it at once. I mostly used it for salmon and jerky. The photos show it with a propane burner but I ended up using a smaller burner as my heat source. I don't think I used it in the dead of winter but otherwise it seemed to hold temps just fine.

smoker2.JPGsmoker1.JPG

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back