Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Home improvement "Hive Mind"

jryoung

I'm planning on putting up a car port in my drive wayutilizing these existing 6 poles. Years ago there was one up, but we took it down when we rebuilt out home.

We figured we'd remove the poles eventually but have now come back around to having a large covered area here.

My thought was to run 6x8s front to back (in this view (it's 19' between poles) and hang 2x6 joists left to right (it's roughly 11' on each side). The roof will slope to the back, probably a 1:24 or 2:24 pitch.

I was planning on sawing the tops of the poles at an angle and mounting the 6x8 to the top, my question/need for ideas is how would you actually mount the square beam to the round poles? It seems there are plenty of mountain brackets from companies like simpson, but have you seen anything out there for something like this? The Google/SEO world doesn't seem to be yielding much.

IMG_20191218_143640.jpg

I would run the beam flush to one side of the poles. Run a long galvanized lag screw down from the top of the beam into the pole. Use a galvanized malleable washer under the lag. Then run a 24 or more inch Simpson Strap from the top of the beam down along the flush edge of the pole and nail it with 16d commons. You could also notch the posts to create a seat for the beam and then bolt through the beam face into the pole, but that would take some mighty precise chainsaw work.

Sounds like a fun project!

Last edited:
Are you using PT lumber? If so I would use stainless steel as I believe galvanized reacts with PT.

I think I'd either cut the round to a square at the top for the Simpson top mount. Or I believe they have a weldable saddle Mont you could modify. I'll ponder it.

Also 2x6s at what spacing? And what's the span? That sounds a bit light.

Where are you located? May want to attach the 2x to the 6x with some Simpson H2.5s, I th in they're pretty cheap

Also as a disclaimer I used to be a structural engineer until I switch to a GC, we tend to be by the book and conservative by default haha

I'd notch the poles if you live in snow country as the trees suggest you do.

And I would go heavier than 8" Maybe two 2x10s or 2x12s. Your local lumber yard guys should have some good ideas for your area given your pole spacing. Put some pitch on there too. As much as you can.

Built half dozen barns and a few large geezbos...lol Some tele-poles like that.
Notch post for beams or 2x10-12's & through bolt. Simpson ties and or homemade anchors added.
Have a project going on here now with full 6x6 posts & 4x10 beams with 18'collar ties(2x12's) for frame and trusses for roof. Poured footings before winter set.

I didn't think much about putting 2x10 or 2x12s and bolting through the beam. That's how the original carport was done. The underside will be covered with tigerwood or similar and we'll have recessed lights so. Bolting through will allow the angle to be set easier too.

If you bolt through I would add a cleat underneath the joint of your 2X’s. Cut a matching angle of 2x8 and then screw or nail that to the round post below.

Dah the thru bolts! I didn't even think of that, good suggestion.

Get some PT lumber too.

If you do thru bolt it, make sure you add some blocking between the two members too help stabilize them.

For whatever it may be worth, engineers and code inspectors usually don’t go for the through bolt system because all the load is resisted by the shear strength of the bolts, not the bearing of the post and beam. You don’t get The full strength out of the 2x beams when you through bolt them to the post. Given what you are doing here, that likely won’t make a difference. Just don’t invite any code inspectors over for a barbecue under the new structure!

Reactions: ZBB
Back