Hog Hunting Florida?

heatfall

Anyone have any good spots to hog hunt in Florida?

Willing to wait for WMA hog seasons to open up if need be, but would love to get out early and get some meat.

There are tons & tons of trespass fee hunt opportunities out there. Many are very reasonable, $40-$50 . Hit the Fla hunt/outdoor websites Hard, ask around the gun/sports stores, farm equipment stores, you'll find one/five/ten. I lived in Tampa 4 yrs and never, ever, not had some pork in the freezer. Just do your homework B4 you lay out any cash, not everyone opening their land to hunt pigs have pigs, nor the so called commercial guides. Don't be afraid to hunt close to population areas, the pigs don't care, neither should you. And as an aside....the good people I had the honor to hunt with generally went with a 44Mag, a 30/30, a shotgun slug, or (with dogs) just a K-Bar. Short & Fast.. it's usually feet, not so much yards.....

Thanks, I appreciate the insight. I am more than willing to pay to get on some private land to hunt. I will ask around and see what I can find. I was planning to use a shotgun with slugs. I have a 12ga that I pretty much use for everything. Not really into buying a new gun for every pursuit and I am not made of money either haha.

There are tons & tons of trespass fee hunt opportunities out there. Many are very reasonable, $40-$50 . Hit the Fla hunt/outdoor websites Hard, ask around the gun/sports stores, farm equipment stores, you'll find one/five/ten. I lived in Tampa 4 yrs and never, ever, not had some pork in the freezer. Just do your homework B4 you lay out any cash, not everyone opening their land to hunt pigs have pigs, nor the so called commercial guides. Don't be afraid to hunt close to population areas, the pigs don't care, neither should you. And as an aside....the good people I had the honor to hunt with generally went with a 44Mag, a 30/30, a shotgun slug, or (with dogs) just a K-Bar. Short & Fast.. it's usually feet, not so much yards.....

I got to ask your long ago you lived down here. This has not been my experience at all.

I was going to say, "be prepared to fork over $150+ for a half day hunt on any private land. Be prepared to hunt hard, long, and deep on public land."

Reactions: FLS
As I stated, you need to look beyond the obvious 'commercial' sites on the net. $150 would be about the right price for one of those. Take a day, or three, and go to a country Ag supply store, some nowhere local yokel gun/bait/ boat rental shop. Just be polite & respectful, and Not pushy. Explain what you're looking for, simply. You'll find it. I know there are Fla Hunt/Fish forums. Ask there. I actually got my 1st break by listening to a radio Outdoor program on Saturdays.

Look around your area for hunters who have clubs or leases up here in southern Georgia. Can bet they'd be happy to have you up to thump some pigs on their deer land.

My relatives who are big sportsman say the hogs are no way near as thick as they were 10 or 15 years ago in south west florida.

Hogs move ALOT. 10-15 years ago I shot hogs almost ever time I was on my lease in S.C. The destroyed food plots feeders, rooted up ditches and were a general PIA. Fast foreward, I haven’t seen one on property in several years. FWIW Most commercial FL hog operations are putting hogs out to hunt just prior to you getting there. Local trappers supply them with hogs to have on hand for their hunters.

I took a few out of the Big Cypress Swamp when I lived there. You’ve gotta keep your head on a swivel between the gators & snakes!

I took a few out of the Big Cypress Swamp when I lived there. You’ve gotta keep your head on a swivel between the gators & snakes!
unfortunately between the pythons and the panthers there are very few hogs to deer in big C now.

if the OP is farther north like central FL, Ocala or Kissimee chain of lakes has hogs.

Anyone have any good spots to hog hunt in Florida?

Willing to wait for WMA hog seasons to open up if need be, but would love to get out early and get some meat.
Check out Two Guys and a Hog on the internet near perry florida. You will get a hog of your choice.

Around central to north florida is some of the best hog hunting. I've heard near okeechobee can also be good. Lots of good info on hog hunting in florida
That is a very helpful link, thank you!

I've never been on a hunt myself but I am located in central fl and honestly, hog hunting is pretty damn appealing to me. Not just because of the variety of methods people use to hunt them (I'll be knife hunting one day, you better believe it), but because they are considered a nuisance, some part of me feels like it would be easier to pull the the trigger knowing that it's kind of a twofer: killing a pest and gettin' that meat. Work my way up to larger game

So yea, that's my goal... get some knowledge, kill some hogs. You might not need a license to hunt hogs in FL but I'm still taking my test on Wednesday just because I want to know I'm qualified to even be out there. I'm trying out some guns this weekend but if anyone has any tips on guns/locations/whatever or wants to go out sometime, just let me know

Last edited:
My relatives who are big sportsman say the hogs are no way near as thick as they were 10 or 15 years ago in south west florida.
This is true. Mostly its because of growth. I hunt in AL now on a hunting lease that is comprised of a couple guys from AL and the other 8 guys like me are from SWFL. I started hunting SWFL in 1986. Over the years I had 3 leases in the boonies of SWFL Ranging from 3500-13,000 acres.
All those properties have been developed. Eventually from 1997-2017 we leased 3000 acres ranch land in South Central Florida below Lake O. We lost that in a conservation easement agreement the ranch got into. Thats when we leased in AL. So its no longer a place we got for the weekend. Its the same all down the coast of SWFL. I’m not complaining about the growth just stating why there is much fewer opportunities for hunting in SWFL.

Back