hip-boots?

Muskeez

This past weekend I caught part of an Alaskan hunting show where they were hunting sheep. They mentioned that they had to cross several "rivers" - they had hip boots on while they crossed, but then the rest of the hunt they had regular boots on. They weren't carrying big packs, so I am guess they had some sort of slip-over hip boots, like a giant water proof sock? I am not the most steady guy when it comes to crossing streams and walking from one slimy rock to another. The time to slip something like this on would be worth it to me if they weren't too bulky or heavy to carry. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have any product suggestions?

I used the wiggy's last year on a sheep hunt. I needed them all 14 days. They weigh almost nothing. They need to be cared for or they will tear. Put them on right at the waters edge and take them off just as you are getting out. Clean your boots before you put them on. Make sure you don't have rocks caught in your soles. Rinse the sand off them before you put them in your pack. The guide had them as well and he said he can get two seasons out of them if taken care of properly. I have heard of others that had them tear quickly. They worked great for me.

Thanks guys! quite a price difference. Usually I get what I pay far, but has anyone tried the Hodgmans?

I've used the Wiggy Waders without problem. I have heard you can use Helly Hansen Impertech bibs with gaiters and they will work for stream crossing as well. I plan on testing that out this year prior to hunting. If that works, it will be a sweet set up and eliminate one more thing out of the pack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back