PEAX Equipment

Hiking in Zion National Park

Southern Elk

Can anyone recommend some nice day hikes in Zion? I’ve ordered a book, but I would love to get some first hand information.

If the observation point hike is open again, that one is gem. But I am not sure of the status of the trail repair after the rockslide

I’ve been twice. First time it was super icy and I had a torn MCL so options were limited. I still managed to hike Watchman and Emerald Pools. They were great and not crowded.

Second time I went I was sick with the flu and ended up leaving Zion to go to the 24hr clinic in St. George. So I didn’t hike at all and just drove everywhere. It was cool in that I could see a lot of country but not the coolest stuff.

I guess I’m a purebred road hunter and hiker.A86B8374-4400-4274-A4DD-7D9A86EFDE95.jpeg

Last edited:
The lone time I visited Zion we hiked a great route on the very western side of the park called “the subway”. We hiked in a few miles from the Wildcat canyon trailhead and dropped into the head of the canyon and then walked down the river through the subway and climbed out of the canyon either at left fork or grapevine. It was an amazing day. We did it in June on a very dry year so the creek was very low and easy to negotiate. It is definitely an adventurous route that way. You could also round trip it from left fork or grapevine and make it as long or short as you wanted. Unbelievable country. I can’t wait to take my kids when they are older.

The Subway requires a coveted permit and skills/equipment. As do Angels landing and narrows from the top down.

Observation point is still closed from the bottom. Long drive around to hike from east rim.

Do narrows from the bottom like the hoards. And all the other crowded hikes from zion floor.

West rim trail is great as both an overnight or a day hike. But need an expensive shuttle to the TH. And you can hit Angel's landing on the way down the west rim trail (if you can snag the angels landing permit).

Angels landing is interesting, definitely not for someone who has issues looking over cliffs, like me. I turned around before the final stretch. My son went ahead and joked that I was a coward, but I was okay with that. 😀 Definitely worth checking out, if you don't mind looking down at 1,000 ft drops on either side of you.

I had a permit for the narrows that cancelled due to a flash floods warning. I didn't know that until the morning of, which meant I was in the park very early in the morning. I hopped the first bus to angels landing and booked it to the top. I was up there alone for about 20 minutes before anybody else showed up. Worth it, highly recommend being up there early

Can anyone recommend some nice day hikes in Zion? I’ve ordered a book, but I would love to get some first hand information.
When are you going?

We always go early in the year and then ride e-bikes up the main road when there aren't any vehicles on the road. It's fantastic.

You see so much more when you're pedaling slowly up the canyon than when you're driving or crammed in a shuttle.

It's almost a spiritual experience... very cool.

Our cabin is about 3 miles from the west rim trailhead and 9 miles from the subway (Kolob). The west rim is 16 miles with a 3,700 vertical ft. drop the last couple of miles. Be in shape. The subway has about a 3 year wait list. East Zion has most of the great hikes and is only 27 miles from Kanab, which is renowned for their trails. There are loads of great hikes that aren't widely known. When you're getting close to your trip, pm me and I'll send you some locations you may be interested in trying.

The Subway requires a coveted permit and skills/equipment. As do Angels landing and narrows from the top down.

Observation point is still closed from the bottom. Long drive around to hike from east rim.

Do narrows from the bottom like the hoards. And all the other crowded hikes from zion floor.

West rim trail is great as both an overnight or a day hike. But need an expensive shuttle to the TH. And you can hit Angel's landing on the way down the west rim trail (if you can snag the angels landing permit).
I didn’t realize they had instituted a permit system. Times change. That is crazy.

My wife, some friends and I went a few years ago. It was a nice park. I saw some nice muleys in there. It definitely can be busy, but that is expected in most popular parks. The Angles Landing hike was the best imo. We also did a hike that went behind a waterfall that was pretty cool. I don't remember what it was called though.

My wife and I will be going there in April to support my son who will be running in a 50k. I think he's crazy but he says it helps keep him in shape for the summer BLM wildfire crew.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back