Hiker saved by passing train

crock239

I'm sure many have seen this...glad it had a good outcome, but this really seems like another reminder that inreach or zoleo is worth the $ and weight.

Also another reminder that emergency preparedness is important even if it's just a day hike...stuff happens.

here's a good story on why having an sos device maybe should be everyone's first hunting and backcountry purchase.

as much as this guy made mistakes i like to think wouldn't have made, i've still gone the wrong way up mountains multiple times.

i almost started down a rappel in zion once and last minute noticed i missed a loop or something on my carabiner break, can't remember exactly. but it woulda been more than likely my last oopsie. it still gives me chills to this day thinking about.

mistakes happen to everyone.

Last edited:
I’m selling my Garmin inreach mini.

$275. FREE Shipping included within the USA.

Send me a PM if interested.

I had it last year before I got that inreach mini 2 as a gift.

it’s been used three or four times and is in phenomenal shape. Comes with all cables.

I echo the above OP post. And I’m sure there’s gonna be further comments about how awesome these things are. I would actually never consider any kind of backcountry experience without one.

Attachments

• 2601434A-4D1B-4D15-896A-4688C20C4A20.jpeg
    2601434A-4D1B-4D15-896A-4688C20C4A20.jpeg
    440.5 KB · Views: 2
here's a good story on why having an sos device maybe should be everyone's first hunting and backcountry purchase.

as much as this guy made mistakes i like to think wouldn't have made, i've still gone the wrong way up mountains multiple times.

i almost started down a rappel in zion once and last minute noticed i missed a loop or something on my carabiner break. it still gives me chills to this day thinking about.

mistakes happen to everyone.

That's a really good read as well.

In both of those, a fall and a broken ankle/leg suddenly become life threatening.

I cringe whenever I see someone crossing logs over a creek or especially walking a log in deadfall, and I think you're about one misstep from a serious puncture wound or fracture...but maybe I worry too much. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Sounds like she was maybe unprepared in more ways than one. Shorts and a tank top in October seems like a bit of a gamble.

I cringe whenever I see someone crossing logs over a creek or especially walking a log in deadfall, and I think you're about one misstep from a serious puncture wound or fracture...but maybe I worry too much. 🤷‍♂️

me too.

i became pretty risk averse as i transitioned into the latter half of my 20's. i guess that's when they say your brain finally fully develops, especially the risk assessment portion 🤷‍♂️

that said, i still love getting on top of mountains and still have an odd craving for some exposure every now and then.

but i hate activities with binary outcomes, where even if the risk is small there are only two outcomes i.e., if something goes wrong you're dead.

On the flip side, some people are emboldened by having an easy out. I think there was a thread on here about the a-holes that purposely push their limits and then call 911 as soon as they get uncomfortable...and the rest of us pay for it.

Back