HHA movable pin sights

1_pointer

My dad left his bow to me last year, a Pearson Diamondback. Though it's not brand new, it's newer and much more 'up to date' than my 17yo Martin Cougar. However, the one thing on the set up that I couldn't like for hunting here was the pendulum sight. If I was still spending the majority of my time out of a treestand I would have given it a try, but alas I'm not. So, with a bit of birthday money in my pocket I headed to Cabelas to see what was new with bow sights. I haven't really spent much time at all with a bow since 2000, so I was REALLY surprised at all the new stuff on the market. For years I only shot with 1 pin, as the setups I hunted really only allowed shots from 0-30 yards, which was no problem for one pin and I really like the uncluttered view. With that in mind, I really wanted a one pin sight, but with longer shooting opportunities here I wanted a movable pin. G5 has one, but the one I messed with at the store felt a bit gritty or jumpy when changing elevation. The Talon was nice, but just seemed a bit less robust and I wasn't terribly crazy about the plastic housing around the sight. Therefore I ended up with the HHA.

I finally got the sight mounted and to the range today for the first time. The ease of adjusting this sight is leaps and bounds better than the Cobra I had on my previous bow. Heck, all adjustments are made with out any tools! The windage screw clicks about every 1/2 turn, which moved the arrow very close to the 1/8 inch advertized. After about a dozen arrows at 10yds to get every thing lined up, I moved to 20. In just a couple of arrows I was dialed in and if I missed the 2.5" circle I was aiming at, it was all me. Then I moved to 40yds. Though I was getting a bit shaky (it has been a LONG time for me to fling many arrows) keeping 6 arrows in a 6" circle was not hard. I have the 'setup tape' placed on the back of the sight to help me pick the correct yardage tape, but I'm going to refletch the arrows and crank up the poundage a bit before I settle on the tape I'll use this fall. For me, this was by far the easiest sight I have every used to get dialed in. Everything is micrometer marked, so even small adjustments are easy to make with NO TOOLS! An additional feature I like about the sight is the adjustable rheostat. This allows you to control how much light gets to the fiber optic wire. In full sun like today, I had the rheostat completely closed, as when open the pin was bright enough to give a but of a halo effect. Aiming appeared to me to be more precise with the light turned back. This is also the first sight that I've used with an integral bubble level. I was surprised on how 'off' I was! But, I attribute some of that to the offset grip of the bow. All in all, I am very happy with this setup and will be firing many an arrow over the next couple of weeks getting ready for the opener.

PS- Anyone else here use a movable sight pin?

Back