MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hey there all you fantastic Hunters and Fishers! Newbie from Wa.

ImaTigger2

Hi, Very pleased to be here. Im a recently retired guy from Uncle Sams army after 23 years. I grew up hunting and fishing in the Pacific Northwest. Im into my second week of bear hunting the fall season in the Olympic mountains. Last year I muzzle-loaded elk in the same area GMU 638 next to the Humptulips river. One morning while driving the logging road up to my hunt site, I saw a mountain lion trot across the road in front of me. Well i slammed on the brakes which woke up my sleeping wife. I grabbed my traditions Vortek as i explained to her what I had just seen. I quickly made my way up to where I saw the cat cross the road, after glancing into the ravine below me for a couple of minutes i looked back at my wife who by now was standing next to the truck. then i turned around to face the road. This is where it gets fun! between me and the road was one fern plant about 18" to 24" tall. That 100lb (conservatively) lion jumped out from under that fern and ran back away from me. In a flash i aimed and shot my muzzleloader to the dreadful sound of a pop! My powder had somehow gotten wet! I threw the goodfornothing muzzleloader down as fast as i could and drew my backup Glock 10 ml. After about 6 or 7 shots I killed every stump, rock, tree branch within 20 feet while that cat was beamed up by Scotty! We looked around for 20 to 30 minutes to find no blood. I learned a lesson- Just because you can go through all of that and keep your pants dry, doesnt mean your powder is! interestingly this was the second time in my life seeing a mountain lion in the wild. 36 years previously while Elk hunting with my family I had seen one in the same area! Yes ill be back this year! looking forward to sharing stories with you folks, Have a fantastic day!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back