Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

The veil has been opened! 1/11

perma

Alrighty folks. We’re back in the west, we got preference points, we’re a year wiser, we’re in the draw everywhere. Follow along with me from last year as we journey across the Wild West to achieve my first big game harvest. All kidding aside, if I don’t get anything this year, I don’t know what to tell myself.

The hunts are below. I will add as I draw more tags.

2023 WY spring turkey - unsuccessful
2023 CO spring turkey - unsuccessful
2023 ID OTC deer - ?
2023 CO muzzleloader pronghorn (first choice)- SUCCESSFUL
2023 WY LQ pronghorn (first choice) - SUCCESSFUL
2023 WY LQ mule deer (first choice) - SUCCESSFUL
2023 CO first season elk (second choice) - unsuccessful
2023 WY LQ elk (second choice) - unsuccessful
2023 WY leftover cow elk - unsuccessful

Last year’s thread:

Last edited:
The 2023 season will start me in Colorado next week for a 5 day turkey hunt. In typical John Madden fashion, I’m throwing an educated Hail Mary on whether or not this place has turkey. According to the county statistics and map layers, there’s some promise. The other goal here is to check myself on navigation skills. I had some issues with my phone last year that resulted in map issues. There’s a lot of private land in this particular unit(s) so I’ll need to watch it.

I did scout some places in WY. Way different story. Call me ignorant, but the resources for turkey in WY are lacking compared to CO. Maybe you need to be smart to find it but that’s not me. An email to the biologist sadly yielded no info. However, reading in between the lines, I think the place I scouted is probably not the play, and so I plan to scout a new area in a few weeks. Again, another John madden play, but to hell with it. We’re turkey hunting, kids! Can’t be that bad!

I do have a plan Z for turkey in CO but it’s a helluva drive to get to. But for a good bird in a well known area where I’ve come close to getting one, can’t ignore it.

Tomorrow is the day! First stop, Northern CO. Five days to sort it out, figure it out and “pack” it out. I happened to scout this place last week. Yielded no results, however, the habitat makes sense for there to be turkey and CPW map said they should be there. Seems legit, right!? Here’s to a little luck and wishful thinking.

It’s fun for me to think I’m coming back full circle. My favorite animal to hunt is elk, but that passion would have never come if it weren’t for turkey. Back home, back into some Merriams, hunting season is here.

The 2023 season will start me in Colorado next week for a 5 day turkey hunt. In typical John Madden fashion, I’m throwing an educated Hail Mary on whether or not this place has turkey. According to the county statistics and map layers, there’s some promise. The other goal here is to check myself on navigation skills. I had some issues with my phone last year that resulted in map issues. There’s a lot of private land in this particular unit(s) so I’ll need to watch it.

I did scout some places in WY. Way different story. Call me ignorant, but the resources for turkey in WY are lacking compared to CO. Maybe you need to be smart to find it but that’s not me. An email to the biologist sadly yielded no info. However, reading in between the lines, I think the place I scouted is probably not the play, and so I plan to scout a new area in a few weeks. Again, another John madden play, but to hell with it. We’re turkey hunting, kids! Can’t be that bad!

I do have a plan Z for turkey in CO but it’s a helluva drive to get to. But for a good bird in a well known area where I’ve come close to getting one, can’t ignore it.
Don't forget about plan Z. I have a severe case of wanderlust and loving nothing more than exploring a new place. But I find most of my success/harvest in areas I know well or at least have some history with. No matter how good the habitat looks e scouting or in person if you can't find them or sufficient sign after a couple days move along. I see guys waste a lot of time on areas that "looks good" don't fall into that trap. Goodluck!

I’m skunked on Turkey this far. Been down near the springs and up near Estes and I haven’t even heard a gobble or seen many signs of Turkey.

Hope you’re doing better than I am!

Sorry folks, had some technical difficulties with the account not sending me an access code. Tried it out of a hotel today and viola.

Anyway, I have some catching up to do. Pre season day I found the flock. The issue is it was next to a gated neighborhood. About 35 hens and 5 toms/jakes all inaccessible. I spent 4 days trying to call them onto public but you can imagine it’s about as pointless as a water flavored popsicle.

What’s worse; I’ve seen more flippin moose than turkeys! Found 3 big bulls shedding winter coats. Ridiculous, but hey, I’m on a hot streak with finding moose. Can’t be all that bad.

Anyway, giving that area one more try in a few weeks. If not, off to the next plan.

Wyoming opens up this week. This weekend and next are the big turkey trips, so I remain optimistic with two unpunched turkey tags.9EA0EDF6-8D1D-42E4-B201-BE4499DAE2DE.jpeg

Attachments

• 85FB3161-8398-45EC-9FB7-DD8D40FDDAF6.jpeg
    85FB3161-8398-45EC-9FB7-DD8D40FDDAF6.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
  • DCA66C6B-DD15-4B3B-92A6-9217E63F0D4E.jpeg
    DCA66C6B-DD15-4B3B-92A6-9217E63F0D4E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • CDAC60B0-4A79-4491-85B1-416419CF0575.jpeg
    CDAC60B0-4A79-4491-85B1-416419CF0575.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Sorry folks, had some technical difficulties with the account not sending me an access code. Tried it out of a hotel today and viola.

Anyway, I have some catching up to do. Pre season day I found the flock. The issue is it was next to a gated neighborhood. About 35 hens and 5 toms/jakes all inaccessible. I spent 4 days trying to call them onto public but you can imagine it’s about as pointless as a water flavored popsicle.

What’s worse; I’ve seen more flippin moose than turkeys! Found 3 big bulls shedding winter coats. Ridiculous, but hey, I’m on a hot streak with finding moose. Can’t be all that bad.

Anyway, giving that area one more try in a few weeks. If not, off to the next plan.

Wyoming opens up this week. This weekend and next are the big turkey trips, so I remain optimistic with two unpunched turkey tags.View attachment 272373
Good luck!

Such a bittersweet weekend….

Saturday was a wash. I woke up with a stomach ache for opening weekend. I mustered the energy to go hunt the afternoon in one spot. It started snowing and we didn’t see much more than fresh el tracks and a carcass of a cow elk.

Sunday was when the magic happened. I picked a completely new area in a different county and got there at first light. I drove the unit because someone took my spot. Figures. I decided to circle back around the area (ran into a bull elk with its antlers on???) and park a bit farther down from them. I learned everyone was hunting the same hills but no one was in the middle. I made the hike and got into a drainage around 9:30. Five minutes later, I hear my first gobble of the season.

My wife and I immediately ran for a tree to hide. I made a mistake and opted to yelp back. Another hen alerted and popped and didn’t hear the gobbler since. At that point, it’s over, right? A majority of the time yes but I got lucky. I decided to hike another mile in and set up my decoys next to a downed tree. A half hour goes by and I let out a ripping yelp. Not one but two gobbles came back. I sat put and played chess. It took those birds 45 minutes to come but they showed up in the bottom. I ranged them at 59 yards.

So here’s where I screwed up. They never closed the gap because my decoys were hidden by a tree. I also was uncomfortable taking that 59 yard shot. My wife, in the tree next to me and closer to them, was at 55 yards. I often wonder if I had practiced a 55 yard shot and got a tighter choke if I’d have turkey breast in my freezer right now. But alas, I made what I thought was the most ethical and humane decision of letting them walk away. Lesson learned.

Oh well, I guess I get to hunt more! Four day trip this weekend. Got a real good feeling now that I know I can call in some birds.

Back