Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Help with some rules in Colorado?

Coloradokid27

Hi, new hunter this year. Watched EVERY video on YouTube, Amazon, etc. Went through hunter safety etc. But I am unsure on some rules here in Colorado.

1. Can we use walkie talkies for general purpose?
2. Can we use them to tell other hunt group members where we see an elk?
3. If there is no snow, can I drive an atv on a snowmobile trail? (No tracks present when I walked it, walkingtrail, but no atv or truck tracks. Had those delineated poles for deep snow),
4. What's the rule with hunting spots, first come first served even if some other guy comes and says "has been using it for years", do I leave if I was there first?
5. How far away should I go away when I see another group, what's the unspoken general rule? Few hundred yards?
6. Can I use those cow elk or milk cow decoys to hide myself?
7. If my backpack covers my orange vest, does that violate the "minimum amount of orange" rule? 50 inches or whatever.
8. Can deer and elk see red light (headlamps, etc.)
Sorry, know it's a lot, should probably email parks and wildlife, but the unspoken rule stuff is better asked here and I thought I'd combine it all.

1, yes
2, yes unfortunately
3, no. unless you also
so see an ATV allowed sign. Legal ATV trails are marked OR mapped as such.

4, first come first served, period. late arrivers can pound sand and should have a plan B.

5, tough one. depends on the terrain. Your own ethics and sense of what a quality hi t is to you should guide.

6. you do not need to hide from elk. If comepletely still they wont see you.

7. yes, bit see a lot of violators who do not get tickets.
8, dunno.

9, be ethical, relax and have fun!

Okay, thanks for those answers. I was thinking of using a decoy to move in on elk the way Randy Newberg did on the antelope that one time. Am I gonna be the funny story some other hunter tells his buddies when he sees me try it and I blow the elk heard? Thinking about using it so we dont get ridgelined or something as well. Not needed to cross an open field 1000yrds away?

Is it unethical to use walkie talkies to guide your buddy to a shot?

Ethics are a personal decision. Follow the law and do what makes you happy.

I can tell you that we sometimes use walkie talkies and still screw up plenty of stalks. Terrain looks different from 500 yards away, and sometimes we would be better off with hand signals.

To follow up on #4 and #5, while there isn't really a "rule", I try to apply the golden rule and give others the consideration I would hope they would show me. Not all abide by this, and may try to horn in on where you're hunting. That's why it's important for you to have Plan A, B, C, etc. You may hunt a spot all alone 3-4 days, then out of nowhere another group rolls in and starts blowing stuff out. That's probably when it's time to relocate.

7. yes, bit see a lot of violators who do not get tickets.
100% with all answers except for this one. I would say that it’s a littler murky, but a strict interpretation of the rules would be that its legal.

The rules says that you must be wearing at least 500 inches of fluorescent orange or pink above the waist, visible from 365 degrees, on an outer garment, and must have a hat.

A backpack is not an outer garment, and the regulation does not stipulate that you must be able to view all of a vest or that the orange may not be obscured by gear.

I’ve been told it’s legal, but that it’s a good idea for safety to hang a piece of blaze on your pack.

You might want to double check the walkie talkie thing. #22 under illegal activities in the big game brochure: it is illegal " For two or more people on the ground, in a vehicle or vessel to use electronic devices to communicate information that violates any wildlife law or regulation." Not sure if guiding a buddy in with radios is illegal but I would definitely call the dow office and get clarification.

7. When wearing a bino harness or backpack, this does reduce the amount that can be seen, I simply hang more orange on my pack.

You might want to double check the walkie talkie thing. #22 under illegal activities in the big game brochure: it is illegal " For two or more people on the ground, in a vehicle or vessel to use electronic devices to communicate information that violates any wildlife law or regulation." Not sure if guiding a buddy in with radios is illegal but I would definitely call the dow office and get clarification.

Using radios is not illegal, “to communicate information that violates any wildlife law or regulation”, I think the most practical application of this would be texting your buddy about a check station so they can avoid it.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks for those answers. I was thinking of using a decoy to move in on elk the way Randy Newberg did on the antelope that one time. Am I gonna be the funny story some other hunter tells his buddies when he sees me try it and I blow the elk heard? Thinking about using it so we dont get ridgelined or something as well. Not needed to cross an open field 1000yrds away?

You’ll get shot walking behind the elk decoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back