MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Help with info on CO 66

lifesupport4u

Looking for advice on CO unit 66 first season elk hunt. I have been looking at maps and plan to scout in September but any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.

PM me if you can help me out.

Also curious about outfitter recommendations or someone to pack in my camp.

Can't help you out on knowledge but I did apply for archery in this unit for this year. This is my only year I get to apply as a resident and I have 2 points (only took one last year) so fingers crossed. Planning on going down that way in the next month or so to do some scouting.

An interesting thing I found out about the unit and hunting wilderness areas. Since I live out of state I use my own two feet to get in and out of the woods. I figured I might call around and see if there was a packing service available in the area I wanted to hunt in unit 66. The wilderness area has one guide service listed in the area and I gave them a call. He has exclusive rights to the area and unless you bring your own horses or use his service then you are committing a crime. (Colorado Rules) To hire someone for even $100 to help get your animal out is a hefty fine. OK, your rules. I get it. This is how he puts food on the table for his family so I asked him about getting some of my gear in a ways and the possibility of a pack out in case of my success. As I finished my sentence I started laughing at myself and I answered it for him. No thank you. He has enough hunters of his own to worry about their success, as well as his own financial success, to add another gun to the area. He was a very nice guy and took the time to point me in a different direction and some spots to look at. That's pretty cool by my standards. My point being is that I was surprised at the amount of hunters I would be competing with in what appears to be a big ars area. Second, bring your own horses if you have them as there isn't anyone willing to get your gear-hide-camp out other than you. There are some great looking spots to hunt in that area. Good luck.

Last edited:
"Exclusive rights" on public lands don't exist in Colorado, or anywhere that I'm aware of. Is he the only outfitter in the area? If yes, then he would be the only one you could pay to pack it out for you. But using the term "exclusive" to describe public land is just not correct. Any other outfitter could move in next year and get registered in the same area if they wanted to. But ya, you can't pay anyone to pack out an animal or to pack in your camp unless they have an outfitting license. If they're the only outfitter that works that area then they are the only ones that can help you out for monetary gain.

Llamas are also an option that people I know use. I believe there are some places in that area that will rent you llamas for a few weeks at a decent price

Still looking for suggestions. Would really like to set up base camp and hunt from there. Want to avoid the crowds but not at the expense of seeing elk.

I hunted 66 back in the late 90's. It was not a draw unit then. I went back with some friends in 2014 I had no tag but they both had cow muzz. tags. We used my mules to get them in and I stayed at the trail head. I met the outfitter and his guides they were nice fellas and had no problems. I called DOW about packing out for someone and he said you can do it for a portion of the meat but no money. I'm going to try for a cow muzz tag for 2018. A questions call me at 563 920 1270.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back