Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Help with Great Falls Area

jnagel32

Hello all! I posted in another thread a few days ago, but figured I'd start my own since I've narrowed some things down. I'm from PA and have mostly hunted whitetail. I've driven out west and spent a week in NW Colorado, so I have some experience with the terrain and landscape out west, but no western hunting experience. Neither do the guys I am heading out west with.

I have a former coworker that has a B&B in the Great Falls area and she told me to come out anytime. We also like the idea of being able to take an Elk or Muley in Montana. So my question is what unit/area would you suggest around Great Falls for an Elk/Muley rifle hunt? We all have backpacking gear, so we aren't afraid to hike back in and camp out overnight if need be and to use the B&B as a sort of a base camp.

Hi jnagel32,
If your going for Elk I would recommend the Little Belts about 65 miles south of Great Falls. They are over the population target and rifle season is either sex. There are areas that are gated off and walk in is the only way to access them. As far as staying in Great Falls and driving out each day that is time consuming and expensive. I would recommend contacting Bob's Bar in Neihart. They have a nice motel and restaurant and you can hunt from there after a short drive. Plus Region 4 Mt FW&P in Great Falls for additional information and Belt Creek Ranger Station for maps. Use a good GPS, compass and a spot if you have one. Cell phones are worthless in that area.
Good Luck,
Dan

Yeah if you're coming here to GF for rifle I think the Little Belts are your best bet. The tough part about them is the density of trees in some areas, you want some good topo maps to help you analyze the terrain for sure. The OnX app on a phone with overhead images and topo is pretty handy. Access is good, but that means a lot of people. Being successful typical means getting off roads and trails.

You could also hunt the Rocky.Mountain front, but the Belts are a better bet in my experience, loads of animals.

If you're going to hunt the Little Belts, plan on staying in White Sulphur Springs. There are 2 hotels there.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to have to look into the Little Belts. My buddy has a 24' camper, so that is an option as well. Is there anywhere we could park a camper?

What time of year are you planning on coming to Montana? There are several USFS campgrounds just off the highway or you can get off the highway and set up in some great spots. The only issue to keep in mind is the weather so you don't get snowed in. A number of years ago I took my Dad's motorhome back in on Divide road about 10 miles. It was 80 degree's when we went in. A little weather came in and in the morning we had 18 inches of tracking snow. It was an adventure getting the Motorhome out. I think the Little Belts have already seen some snow this year but I'm sure it's gone for now.
Dan

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back