Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Help me spend my Kifaru gift card....

MT_Fin

I am looking at different pack setups from Kifaru and would like some input from those of you who have used them. I won an awesome giveaway on another forum. Not only do I get a Mesa Precision custom rifle and Swarovski x5, and custom ammo package from Unknown Munitions, but it also includes an $850 gift card to Kifaru

So my goal is to put that to good use and end up with a versatile "do all" system. I live in MT, the very large majority of my hunting days are day trips, but I would like the option for a couple of days too, and the ability to haul meat. Since I mostly day hunt, a smaller and sleeker pack is preferable.

I am looking at a couple different setups, but I am 100% open to other suggestions as well. So fire away! I like the Sherman pocket and the ability to use it for rifle carry out of the way. I was fairly sold on the 22 Mag with Sherman pocket to fit my needs until I saw more on the straightjacket, and now I am intrigued by that one. But heavily leaning towards a Styker XL w/Sherman pocket.
I appreciate everyone's help!
Fin

I have the fulcrum and the Stryker xl.

Started with just the fulcrum and if I could only keep one that is what I would keep. It is a little "strappy" compared to the Stryker, but works well as a daypack.

I got the Stryker because I wanted a little more streamlined setup for dayhunts which is the majority of what I do. For me adding a Sherman would add more complexity and straps that would negate it's advantages over the fulcrum.

To me their new straight jacket is a niche pack where you are predominantly packing in awkward stuff. Its basically a fulcrum, but a cargo panel instead of a bag. For my uses it would have all the complexity of the fulcrum without being both a daypack and big bag rolled into one.

Hope this helped.

I've got the 22 Mag, the 44 Mag, the Reckoning and the Hoodlum. If I could only pick one it would probably be the Reckoning. It's big enough to go in for a week, but compresses nicely and is one of their lighter bags. I also like the full length zip vs. the partial side zips on the Hoodlum. Much better access IMO.

Last edited:
I have a SG pack and really like it my BIL has a reckoning and they are very comparable IMHO.

The reckoning cinches down quit well and would give you the ability to do backpack hunts if you want to, personally the dall would be my pick, but I realize we have different use cases.

If you mostly day hunt, maybe look at a Stryker or Stryker XL with a camp bag (or just use load cell dry bags) that you can sandwich. That gnargali looks solid though

I've got a reckoning, and I love it. Compresses down easy enough for day hunts, or hanging out in a blind all day, but also enough room when fully expanded to live out of 5 - 7 days. Add in the meat shelf, and I've hauled enough for me, wife, and toddler to go backpacking for two nights.

I think if I was going to buy again, I'd look at a 44 Mag, or a Hoodlum as well.

As far as accessories go, I've got my Reckoning kitted with 1 Large, 2 medium, and a small belt pouch, with a water bottle pocket, and a gun bearer. I also bought a guide lid, but unless it's a long trip, that stays at home.

Congrats! I would go the Stryker XL route as the straight jacket seems like it would get really wide for mountain hunting.
Not packs, but I would also look at the lost park parka if you do any late season hunts. Their doobie blanket is great for sitting in ground blinds waiting for geese too.

I am looking at different pack setups from Kifaru and would like some input from those of you who have used them. I won an awesome giveaway on another forum. Not only do I get a Mesa Precision custom rifle and Swarovski x5, and custom ammo package from Unknown Munitions, but it also includes an $850 gift card to Kifaru

So my goal is to put that to good use and end up with a versatile "do all" system. I live in MT, the very large majority of my hunting days are day trips, but I would like the option for a couple of days too, and the ability to haul meat. Since I mostly day hunt, a smaller and sleeker pack is preferable.

I am looking at a couple different setups, but I am 100% open to other suggestions as well. So fire away! I like the Sherman pocket and the ability to use it for rifle carry out of the way. I was fairly sold on the 22 Mag with Sherman pocket to fit my needs until I saw more on the straightjacket, and now I am intrigued by that one. But heavily leaning towards a Styker XL w/Sherman pocket.
I appreciate everyone's help!
Fin
I have the Stryker with Sherman pocket, I have a waterproof duffle from T&K hunting gear as an expansion bag to put on the meat shelf for those longer trips. What is hand is i can remove the duffle bag with all the extra gear and leave it at camp and just run the stryker as the day pack while hunting. No need to take everything out and leave it laying around in the tent. Seems to work really well for me, Wish i had the Stryker XL instead but this system is working well for me up to a 5 day backcountry type of trip, hard to get any more then that with the size duffle bag I have. Would need to get really spartan to pull that off and I like some creature comforts, like a full size toothbrush. hehe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back