Help Me Pick a Rifle

I would definitely give Browning AB3 micro or X-Bolt micro a look. They both come in .243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, .308.
I highly recommend the Xbolt Micro. I bought it for the wife in 7mm-08 and she shoots it well and really likes it. I am kinda fond of it too even though the stock is a bit short on me. Browning also offers a stock upgrade as your young hunter grows you can get a regular stock for it.

I bought a Ruger American "go-wild" edition in 7-08 for exactly this purpose. Sportsman's has them for $630.

A lot of unknowns, does the $800 include what you would spend on a scope? Do you reload?

For my recommendation I am going to assume you don't reload and the $800 total includes a scope.

Ruger American Predator (has a threaded barrel and easy to identify by the green stock). This rifle will set you back only about $500 which leaves some bank for a decent scope. I would go either .243, 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08.

Good luck in your search!

I highly recommend the Xbolt Micro. I bought it for the wife in 7mm-08 and she shoots it well and really likes it. I am kinda fond of it too even though the stock is a bit short on me. Browning also offers a stock upgrade as your young hunter grows you can get a regular stock for it.
We bought the same rifle and caliber for my wife years ago. She has taken elk, and whitetails with it.

Tikka T3x Lite. My dad got a stainless tikka 7 mag a year and a half ago and that rifle can shoot. They're accurate, and an extremely robust gun.

Just bought my son a Ruger American Compact in .243. I'm in the process of getting a scope prior to rifle season at the end of November. I paid $460 for it and I'm looking at a VX Freedom 3-9x40 which puts me right under $800. For a budget rifle, the trigger is pretty light and it's adjustable. The bolt I'm not a fan of because it has the stainless steel coating over it and it makes an awful noise when you work the bolt, but maybe that will clear with it getting broke in. I've never owned a Ruger so I'm not familiar with them.

Put me in the Tikka .223 or .243 camp.

Threading is not that expensive, I'd 100% pick the rifle platform you want and just get it threaded later if needed.

Hello All,

Curious on opinions for a rifle. I am looking for a lightweight, light recoil, rifles for my wife and daughters to shoot in a few years. It would be utilized for deed and antelope. I would also like the barrel to be factory threaded so I could place a surpessor on it. My intial thoughts are a 6.5 or 243. Also through around the idea on a 25-06 or even a 22-250, but figured the latter my be a little light for deer. Under 800 would be great. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Have you considered the 7mm08

Tikka compact in 6.5 creedmoor or 243. Comes with a couple spacers to fit it to the shooter

My wife has a couple Camillas, a Remington model 7 for her bolt rifles. My oldest daughter has a Savage lady hunter and my middle daughter has a Savage 110 in a Boyd's at-one stock.

I thought there maybe some marketing involved with the "lady rifles" until they put them to use. When my wife was using the old Savage 110 in a non accustock she constantly searched for the reticle while moving her head up and down until she lined up her shot. No consistent cheek weld or quick mounting of that rifle. Now with the Camilla she sets up a shot much faster and her groups tightened up.

The Remington model 7 seems to work too, much like most of the compact models suggested here probably would

Although none of these are threaded, they are more likely to fit better making shot placement a priority. I'm still in the process of trying to have some of our rifles threaded for our cans so I feel your pain there.

AS for caliber, my wife likes her 270win. My youngest started on a 7mm-08. At that time I picked up about 5 boxes of Hornady lite recoil ammo for it and that thing shoots like a dream. That ammo is hard to find these days so I am not sure I would recommend the 708 unless you reload. 243, 6CM or 6.5CM would be hard to beat for that application. Check out what's more prominently available in your area or what you can get online. Around here you'll find 223, 308 and 6.5CM all day long, everything else is hit or miss

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back