MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Help Me Pick a Rifle

Flatlander3

Hello All,

Curious on opinions for a rifle. I am looking for a lightweight, light recoil, rifles for my wife and daughters to shoot in a few years. It would be utilized for deed and antelope. I would also like the barrel to be factory threaded so I could place a surpessor on it. My intial thoughts are a 6.5 or 243. Also through around the idea on a 25-06 or even a 22-250, but figured the latter my be a little light for deer. Under 800 would be great. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Recommend anything in a 260 Remington stock fitted to the primary shooter.

I would Not worry about factory threaded, since most of all come with 1/2–24 thread for the suppressor. All of the rifles I have looked at that have 1/2”– 24 threads. If it comes with 5/8 - 24 then disregard

Last edited:
I'd recommend Bergara B14 (ridge I think has threaded barrels?) rifles. These are well-regarded shooters, and are also built on Rem 700 style actions so all the aftermarket goodies fit.

They're not the lightest, but that helps with recoil. You can also swap out for lighter/adjustable stocks that can be individually tailored to all shooters.

Tikka T3's come in compact size stocks too I believe - those might be what you need.

Out of your budget, but if I had a do-over I'd grab a Sig Cross in 6.5CM instead of my Bergara HMR. My Bergara is probably a half-MOA rifle, and the adjustable stock is great, but it's HEAVY. The Sig Cross with a suppressor would fit me and my sons as they grow, and is super light for hunting.

I'd vote Ruger American Compact in 6.5 CM or 7-08, would have to get the barrel threaded though. Lots of people knock them, but they are damn accurate and usable firearms and don't cost an arm and a leg. Install a Leupold 2.5x8 from Schmalts on Talley Lightweights and you will be under 7#'s and under 1K for all.

Guys, it's not just the length of pull that's different for women!

The droop, and cast off are different also.

Currently there are only 2 rifles that are actually designed by women for women.

Weatherby Camilla, and Savage Lady Hunter.

Otherwise i'd say buy whatever & get a Boyds AT-One stock for them.

With a properly fitting stock, women can shoot much better performing cartridges than what the typical guy thinks of for them!

And be prepared to be outshot at the range.

When my kids start hunting, they'll be starting with a fast twist .22 of some variety. For factory options, I'd be looking at a 1-8 Tikka Lite in either 223 or 22-250. There's reasonable factory ammo available for the former, I would only consider the 22-250 if you hand load.

Of course, I plan to do some hunting myself with a fast twist .22 this year...

Guys, it's not just the length of pull that's different for women!

The droop, and cast off are different also.

Currently there are only 2 rifles that are actually designed by women for women.

Weatherby Camilla, and Savage Lady Hunter.

Otherwise i'd say buy whatever & get a Boyds AT-One stock for them.

With a properly fitting stock, women can shoot much better performing cartridges than what the typical guy thinks of for them!

And be prepared to be outshot at the range.
I kind of think it is a baloney sales pitch by the manufacturers.
In shotguns and rifles different guys prefer different cast, different length of pull and different drop at comb due to their different builds.
Women are no different. They can be tall, short, thick, thin, have a long or short neck and broad or narrow shoulders... all which come into play with gun fit.

I would recommend a Weatherby Vanguard Camilla. Only $100 more and you’ll get the calibers you mentioned. I’d go with 308 since it’s widely available everywhere. If you forget the ammo, it won’t be hard to find.

Plus, who doesn’t love Grandma Camilla?

Or if you really want to get wild, upgrade to a Mark V ULR Camilla and get a 280AI. You may even catch yourself shooting that gun….

I just bought my step son a 6.5prc in tikka t3 veil 6.5PRC
Shoots very good comes with a threaded brake and you could thread a suppresor on.
He killed a deer with it last week. So its broke in.

Picked up a Bergara wilderness ridge in 6.5cm a few weeks backs. I bought the 22” barrel and shoot it suppressed. For a little cheaper, you could pick up the regular ridge, which comes threaded also.
Out of the box the rifle shot really well with factory ammo. Trigger is adjustable down to 2.5lbs. But I like a very light trigger so it came off already and added a TT. My wife likes the feel of this gun over her Thompson center venture 243. I’m afraid she might take claim of this new gun. She loves shooting it and the recoil is very light with a can on.

She also shoots my 308 suppressed and will shot it often. Ammo for a 308 is everywhere and not really priced too bad. 6.5 is a little harder to find around here and it seems to be quite a bit more per box. Now I haven’t seen 243 on a shelf in a long time.

Honestly to fit kids and wife with the same gun I would look at savage 110s with the adjustable accustock. You can change length of pull. Down to 12.75 on most models.
You could effectively shoot it to sight it in then two screws to adjust l.o.p hand it to a kid. Also as the kiddos grow the stock can grow with them.

Right now I plan to get my son this setup in 243 and shoot hammers through it. I will probably also use it for coyotes too.

Bonus for it already being ugly because kids fall too much.

If, and I do mean 'IF' you find a 250 Savage.....snatch it and RUN like the Marines mistook you for Jodi that bopped Suzie while 'Priv was at PI.

I would definitely give Browning AB3 micro or X-Bolt micro a look. They both come in .243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, .308.

I did this a decade ago and bought a Kimber Montana in 257 Roberts. The kids and I have all shot deer, bear and a few elk with it. It’s one of our favorite hunting rifles. I’m taking it Whitetail hunting this year.

For your search, I’d consider a Tikka T3 in either 243 or 223.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back