Help me impress/introduce in-laws to duck

This: https://honest-food.net/how-to-cook-duck-breasts/
Except use either bacon grease or butter instead of olive oil. Then go with a fruity reduction to drizzle over.

You need to get a copy of Duck Duck Goose if you're going to be eating waterfowl consistently, it's indispensable.
This part right here. This book is a really good one. And Hank knows his stuff with all things wildgame.

Score the skin and salt it. Heat up a cast iron skillet, put the breasts skin down in the skillet. Flip them when the fat starts to turn brown and crispy. Cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side.. do not over cook. I like it sliced thin with horseradish on the side... Pretty tough to beat. My girlfriend who has been opposed to eating wild game said it tastes like prime rib.

As appetizers I'd do grilled duck poppers with jalapeno, cream cheese, and bacon. With so much flavor I think it takes away a lot of the "duck" and makes it a meat filler, but it's still delicious stuff and better than buying meat.

This: https://honest-food.net/how-to-cook-duck-breasts/
Except use either bacon grease or butter instead of olive oil. Then go with a fruity reduction to drizzle over.

You need to get a copy of Duck Duck Goose if you're going to be eating waterfowl consistently, it's indispensable.

I think this one is the winner, going to do this with an apple sage chutney I saw on meat eater.

@teej89 it went pretty well. This was just the apple chutney-no sage. Wasn't too hard to put everything together but I was a little worried until the apples started to soften.
It looked like it was going to be too thick to mix but when the apples softened they let out a little juice to give it a good texture. Next time I make it I will probably use less fresh ginger and/turmeric, but if you use the dried ginger the recipe is probably okay. I also added a little more honey. I would do a different side though, the brown rice just didn't quite go with the chutney.

Attachments

• 20191108_204308.jpg
    20191108_204308.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 12
@teej89 it went pretty well. This was just the apple chutney-no sage. Wasn't too hard to put everything together but I was a little worried until the apples started to soften.
It looked like it was going to be too thick to mix but when the apples softened they let out a little juice to give it a good texture. Next time I make it I will probably use less fresh ginger and/turmeric, but if you use the dried ginger the recipe is probably okay. I also added a little more honey. I would do a different side though, the brown rice just didn't quite go with the chutney.

That looks great!! How long in the oven did it take? I think he said 10min.

That looks great!! How long in the oven did it take? I think he said 10min.
I think it was around 8 minutes. I checked a few of the breasts with a thermometer and was getting between 135 -145 so I pulled them out. Also I had a decent amount of leftover chutney so you could get away with one more duck or possibly two if needed.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back