Caribou Gear

Help me impress/introduce in-laws to duck

teej89

Alright so now that I have a new found thrill for duck hunting I have some skin on breasts sitting in the freezer. I wanted to use them as an appetizer one night for the in-laws, her dad I know has had venison but I'm not sure if her mom has, who's a very good cook.

What do you guys suggest as a duck breast appetizer? I can remove the skin if needed.

IMG_6683.JPG

Brined them and smoke them. I’ll see what f I can dig up the recipe @Nemont posted a while back.

I'll also add that I don't have a smoker, ha!

That's next on my list to buy.

What temp do you cook them to also is a question, I've never cooked it.

I wouldn't disagree with anything stated above. My go to for the first timer is a teriyaki based pineapple ,onion marinade. Grilled on the bbq, skin side down first until crispy flip and absolutely do not over cook. Rare to medium rare at most. A little reserve sauce slice and serve. I have found however no two ducks are the same. If you really don't want to disappoint I suggest a taste before serving. Even the best tasting of puddle ducks migrate and therefore may have been into some less than ideal feed, which can every so often can put off a new diner.

I second what others have said, especially the soy.

I love cutting the breasts into small pieces and flash frying them then serving with a soy/teriyaki based dipping sauce 👌🏽

I slice up the meat, marinate it and then make spring rolls (think you guys call them egg rolls over there). I've fed them to non game eaters, non hunters and borderline anti hunters and noone has ever complained.

I love them that much i could do all my ducks that way. Using a processor just became legal in my state for hunted game so maybe I'll get some made into salami next season (March 2020).

Here is what I do for skinless breast:
Rinse breasts and pat dry
Let sit in lime juice, olive oil and salt. (~30 mins)
Drain fluid, re-salt
Get pan hot, add oil
Sear each side for 3-5 minutes
Slice thin and serve.

I like it rare!

If you leave skin on, cook on that side longer. The crispy skin is good!

I'll advocate for keeping it simple. Pluck the feathers, leave the skin on, and take the breast and leg off in one piece with the skin on (rinella has a video on how to do this, it's easy). Brush it with oil,douse it in pepper and coarse salt (maybe a little garlic too), and cook it to rare/medium rare on a hot pan, skin side down first to crisp the skin. Slice into thin strips after it rests. It's amazing. I used to brine and use all kinds of sauces, and those things were good. This is my favorite way to cook duck now, and I've never had someone new to duck not devour it and ask for more.

Last edited:
It's also really damned to cook it on a super hot grill. Leave the skin on, cut out the backbone, and split in half at the breastbone. Season them however you like (I like to make a rub of equal parts paprika, sea salt and black pepper and apply very liberally), grill super hot and pull them when the breast is rare.

I've got a recipe to share for duck but it's more for a whole plucked duck but you could still use it. All the guys who say you can only eat duck rare are gonna flip out on me.

*Stuff 2 ducks (or however many you like) with
pineapple or cherry whatever your preference.
*Salt and pepper duck
*Pour remaining juice from fruit into Dutch oven
with 2 sticks of butter.
* couple of spoonfuls of minced garlic over the
duck in the Dutch oven
* place in oven at 225 degrees for around 6 hours.
or until you push on the ducks leg and it almost
falls off. Basting the birds once an hour.

Trust me on this one!

Forget about the appetizers. Serve it as the main course using Hank Shaw's roast duck recipe. The gravy made from the duck fat is amazing.

Slice thin , marinate in jalapeño juice, 1 slice duck, 1 slice jalapeño l, dab of cream cheese, wrap it in bacon put a toothpick thru it and cook till the bacons crispy and the duck is medium.

It's also really damned to cook it on a super hot grill. Leave the skin on, cut out the backbone, and split in half at the breastbone. Season them however you like (I like to make a rub of equal parts paprika, sea salt and black pepper and apply very liberally), grill super hot and pull them when the breast is rare.
That’s what I was going to do with the other duck, split it and cut out the backbone, the breasts from this duck and hopefully another I’m just gonna do for an appetizer. I breasted the one cuz it got centered pretty good and there were a decent amount of BB holes in it, next time imma leading for the head🤣😂

I've got a recipe to share for duck but it's more for a whole plucked duck but you could still use it. All the guys who say you can only eat duck rare are gonna flip out on me.

*Stuff 2 ducks (or however many you like) with
pineapple or cherry whatever your preference.
*Salt and pepper duck
*Pour remaining juice from fruit into Dutch oven
with 2 sticks of butter.
* couple of spoonfuls of minced garlic over the
duck in the Dutch oven
* place in oven at 225 degrees for around 6 hours.
or until you push on the ducks leg and it almost
falls off. Basting the birds once an hour.

Trust me on this one!

Dah this sounds bomb! I have one whole one now and I’ll be sure if I kill two to keep another whole as well.

I think for the breasts I’m really into the idea of a simple flashed seared breast with a fruit reserve or whatever it’s called

Anyone have any good pointers for a fruit topper? Would a slice of good cheese go good with that as well or too overkill?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back