Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 4D Dichro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4K Red Dot

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mako

OK. So I've been PM'ing with Schmalts to figure out what scope to get for my 6.5CM. It's currently sporting a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40, but I'm going to move that scope over to my .270 and get something with a little more zoom for the 6.5. This rifle is going to be used for both hunting and plinking and is going to pretty much be my primary rifle for deer and pig. It was between a Leupold VX-5 HD and a Meopta Optica 6. After much research, I'm pretty darned impressed with the Meoptas, so I think I'm going to go that route, 3-18x50, but man the reticle choices are driving me nuts. They've got a lot of choices for this set up. I like the BDC, but the Meopta BDC is set up for a 200 yard zero. I like to set my rifles up for a 100 yard zero, so that one is out. So I've narrowed it down to these four; the Z-Plus, the 6.5CM Dichro, and a couple plain vanilla reticles in the 4D Dichro and 4K.

If you own a Meopta, please share your thoughts.

Z Plus (Red Dot)
6.5 Dichro
4D Dichro
4K (Red Dot)

That 6.5 Dichro looks sweet if you ask me. and if the hold overs are true for your ammo then I think that's a no brainier.

Turrets are fine and dandy, but in the heat of the moment when you see a big animal, its nice to just shoot the range and select your hold over rather than fiddling with dials, that's always been my thought at least.

...and if the hold overs are true for your ammo then I think that's a no brainier.

That's my main concern with this reticle.

... its nice to just shoot the range and select your hold over rather than fiddling with dials...

Exactly why I'm looking at this reticle. I have a WindPlex reticle in my Leupold. I like the idea of dialing for elevation and using the hold offs for wind, but the idea of using hold overs is becoming more and more appealing. It doesn't say so on the spec sheet, but I think that reticle looked like it was set up for a 200 yard zero, so I called Meopta this morning. Turn's out that it is, so I guess that one is out too.

Tough call man. I know I'm not super pleased with my Duplex reticle, but I'm not annoyed enough to spend a chunk of money to do anything about it.... I'm too cheap I guess haha

Holdover works great, until you start holding for elevation and wind at the same time. At that point any gains in simplicity go out the door in my opinion.

Holdover works great, until you start holding for elevation and wind at the same time. At that point any gains in simplicity go out the door in my opinion.

Agreed. In windy conditions I think it’s better to dial for elevation so you can focus on doping for wind. I was never good at multitasking, so it helps to be able to focus on one thing at a time lol.

I own none of those, so cannot help with either scope.

As for BDC...
I have BDC scopes from 3 different manufacturers. All suggest a 200 yard zero.
And depending on cartridge/bullet combo the BDC can line up quite nicely for fairly fast shots to 600 yards.
With the wrong cartridge/ bullet combo, not so much.
Gotta match the cartridge/bullet to the scope. Experimentation is the only way to do this. And the scope manufacturer should have a reference to help.

And don't worry about a 200 yard zero. It's only an inch to inch and a half high at 100 yards for most cartridges.

If you will be using the turrets to correct for elevation, it's arguably a better choice to zero at 100yds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back