Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

HELP! Maps for my GPS?

hunt1up

Here's the rub. I've been to AZ a few times Javelina hunting with friends and on those particular DIY hunts, the public land is in large chunks. No need for maps or GPS mapping. Well last year, myself, my dad, and a friend headed to Wyoming for our first Antelope/Mulie trip, purely DIY. We had a very successful trip and filled all 6 tags...2 mulies and 4 antelope. It did all the map reading and driving, and after 2-3 days I had the area understood. The problem in the area we hunt is that the public land is sprinkled throughout large amounts of private. I'd often use windmills and oil rigs on the maps to tell where I was. Some though, weren'y on the maps. At times, we didn't pursue animals because we didn't want to trespass and wasn't sure of the boundaries.

Sooo...is there a chip/download for my GPS that will show all of the public/private land? I have a Lowrance I-Finder Hunt that is a few years old. I'm not afraid of puchasing an newer GPS if need be.

Thanks for any help!

If your looking to do a little scouting before you go. I’d recommend looking into their new product called Digital hunter. It’s a Google Earth Overlay. You can purchase it by state. When you get the DVD you get Statewide National Forest Paper Maps on Google Earth, You can also put these on your Garmin GPS. Transparent Overlays in Google Earth of Property Boundaries, GMU boundaries and Public Land Overlays. It’s a killer product, It makes Google Earth 10 times more useful. Watch the slide show on the website to see more.
http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/gps-maps/gpsmapsfileuploads.html

Last edited:
i got the gps chip for oregon and it defines the public /private land pretty good hunting gps maps.com or linton outdoors has the many state aray of chips available.

good advice received alreadsy. When you start working with GOOD maps, you wil leasrn that fences can be hundreds of feet off of property lines and all manner of oddities. Good to have quality boundry mappng with hunitng in checkerboarded country. There are frre maps available for garmin units, but theproducts are HARD to beat. my huntinggpsmap.com chip looks great so far.much, much, easier to read and use versus the freebie land staus stuff I had been using from gpsfiledepot.com.

Thanks fellas for the help. Really liking this site. I ended up ordering a Garmin 60CSx for $199 from Cabelas and a WY SD card from huntinggpsmaps.com. I needed a new GPS anyway.

From what I've been reading, this should help a bunch.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back