Hells Canyon Wilderness Elk

Duckdude10

Heading out to the Hells Canyon Wilderness in Oregon on an archery Elk hunt early September.

I’ve never been to the unit, I live 12 hours away and due to work was unable to get up there and scout.

Can anyone who has ever hunted that area give me some pointers on where I could possible find elk in that country? E-scouting can only take me so far.

Not asking for anyone to give me specific spots, but just general directions and things to look for.

I've not hunted the area for archery, but can tell you that the country is way more giant and imposing than it looks on sat imagery. Be prepared for some steep stuff, and enjoy your time in one of the coolest areas on the planet.

Any chance you have access to a jet boat? That would open up a lot of opportunities, plus, it is usually easier to pack your elk out downhill.

Does the post mention having drawn a tag in a unit they have never been to? Check

Does the post mention they can't or won't be able to scout because of work or family? Check

Does the post mention they have e-scouted but want free boats on the ground experience? Check

Last but not least, does the post say they don't want anyone's honey holes but just "general" help? Check

Well would you look at that! We have a certified HT newbie.

Will the OP report back with how they did? Odds are 1 in 118 these days but need @wllm To verify that.

Does the post mention having drawn a tag in a unit they have never been to? Check

Does the post mention they can't or won't be able to scout because of work or family? Check

Does the post mention they have e-scouted but want free boats on the ground experience? Check

Last but not least, does the post say they don't want anyone's honey holes but just "general" help? Check

Will the OP report back with how they did? Odds are 1 in 118 these days but need @wllm To verify that.
Did they post in two different spots for double the hope? Check 😂

Heading out to the Hells Canyon Wilderness in Oregon on an archery Elk hunt early September.

I’ve never been to the unit, I live 12 hours away and due to work was unable to get up there and scout.

Can anyone who has ever hunted that area give me some pointers on where I could possible find elk in that country? E-scouting can only take me so far.

Not asking for anyone to give me specific spots, but just general directions and things to look for.
Some how we've gotten 5 posts deep with out anyone properly welcoming you to Hunt Talk.

Welcome to Hunt Talk.

Never hunted that country during archery season, but have hunted rifle season for over 10 years. Find a good vantage point and glass until you find elk. That country is steep and deep. I don't drop off into those canyons until I know there are elk where I'm headed. Good luck and please come back and share your experience after the hunt.

Loved hunting it when I had younger legs. The ground is so steep that if your hat blows off your head while you’re packing out, you won’t go down for it.
About 1980 or so we had a very good year, had three bulls packed out by the next to last day. I had gone in up near Indian grave with my brother. He still had a tag. He would also run that year in the NCAA cross country finals. He was in good shape. He was about 2500 feet off the top, I was about 1000. I looked down the ridge and saw him lining up a shot on a decent bull a couple 100 yards below him. Oh God no I thought. At the shot I heard the distinctive wack of a bullet hitting a rock. The bull jumped and moved about 20 yards. Bang/whack. Bull jumps and moves off. Radio crackles; no way I’m packing another elk out of this hell hole. Could’ve killed him, it’s that steep and rough.

Are the majority of their first 10 posts one sentence or less? Check. :ROFLMAO:

And welcome to HT!

Sounds like the makings of a three day elk hunt. One day to pack in. One day to hunt with excitement. One day to realize this is way steeper, tougher, more intimidating than the OP realized. One day to sleep in and pack out.

Hope I’m wrong. That country always intrigued me but I know I don’t want an elk bad enough to pack one uphill for very far when it’s that steep.

There are elk out there but you have to work for them and quality is nothing like it was 10 years ago. Unless you have stock most won’t be able to effectively and ethically archery hunt much of the region. It’s an amazing area but steep and likely hot in September. Water can also be an issue, springs on maps are not all there and some are barely potable even with a filter. I have spent a lot of time in the area and love it but it’s true to its name and not for everyone, there is a reason all the homesteads failed.

most of that the timber is in the bottoms and thats where the elk will be in Sept. They feed out in evenings and through the night and make their way back to the bottoms where its cooler during the day and water

Back