Caribou Gear

Hello From Michigan

JaredMoon

Hey Everyone! My name is Jared Moon. I currently live in Michigan but am originally from California. I am an active duty Army Officer and more importantly to this page a very active and VERY unsuccessful (as of 27DEC18) bowhunter. I grew up hunting small game (squirrels and rabbits) but only started bow hunting big game in the past 1.5 years. I have yet to connect on any big game but have learned quite a bit as most missed opportunities were stupid newbie mistakes (moving to fast, leaving too early, etc.) which are great opportunities to learn. I've had two full seasons of whitetail here in Michigan and spent a good amount of time in the back country (for a newbie) mostly chasing elk but with as many other tags in my pocket as my wallet would allow. This past year I spent 4 days solo deep in the Machesna Mountain Wilderness, CA // 10 days solo deep in the Eagle Cap Wilderness, OR // and 8 days solo split between the Douglass Pass area and Pike National Forest, CO. I have no idea how many days I've spent in a tree stand or ground blind chasing whitetail or turkey but it is as often as I can. I have heard "there is no substitute for time in the woods" when learning how to hunt (particularly when learning on your own) and I take that to heart. I'll be reassigned to Kansas in the summer but am planning a wilderness spring bear hunt to either South Prince of Wales Wilderness, AK (draw tag), a TBD Wilderness Area, Oregon (draw tag), or if I am unsuccessful in my draw tags the Frank Church - River of No Return Wilderness, ID. I will also most likely be hunting in Colorado again for Elk, Mule Deer, and Bear. I prefer the solitude of wilderness areas but will hunt in someone's backyard if allowed.

I'm a member of BHA, RMEF, and the NRA. I have lurked in forums such as HT and RS, read and watched as much educational hunting focused content as humanly possible while still attending graduate school. Ultimately, I am constantly seeking knowledge and perfection to become a serious back country bow wielding predator. Glad to finally be apart of the forum and hope I can contribute as much as I gain.

Edit: I've also spent 3 weeks hunting with indigenous tribes in the Peruvian, Amazon. Those men were human GPS systems and tough as nails. 100+ miles into the Amazon in bare feet hunting crocs and alligators at midnight from a boat 2 inches above the water with a spear their grandfathers made - made me feel like a doofus for wearing bug spray haha.

Beat Navy,
Jared

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum from Az. USCG retired/Never in 30 yrs. arrowed a Deer Or Elk.Plenty much Javelina!
Keep at it,I will happen...OR will it? lol! :cool

Welcome to the forum from Az. USCG retired/Never in 30 yrs. arrowed a Deer Or Elk.Plenty much Javelina!
Keep at it,I will happen...OR will it? lol! :cool

I tell my wife that's what keep me at it - the fact that I find it so crazy difficult. I hunted peccary (kind of like javelina) with some guys in Peru - if it's prepared right it's pretty damn good! Thank you for your service in the CG!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back