Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hello from central FL

DrAlphabet

First things first... I'm a complete beginner with 0 hunting experience. I've always wanted to hunt but never really had the opportunity. I didn't grow up with parents who took me hunting nor do I know anyone in my adult life who does it so it's always been just out of reach for me.
Now I'm turning 30, got a couple kids of my own, and I want them to have what I didn't: the chance to hunt their own food. I used to be a sous chef and we garden a lot as a family, so naturally food is important to us and being able to sustainably source our own meat even more so.
I already have plans to take a hunting safety course and get myself licensed up but figured this community could help with those elusive next steps. So yea, hey there folks! I'll just be here lurkin and learnin till I figger it out I guess.

Welcome to hunting and welcome to HT. Your kids will thank you for introducing them to hunting.
I'd suggest getting into archery for the long seasons and family fun factor of shooting in the yard. You'll likely feel more comfortable hunting when you're confident you can field dress and handle the processing of your animal. Some people use gutless method of field dress but you waste the inside flank by going that route. There are lots of utube and hunting videos to get you started. Find a deer processor if you're not into cutting up/grinding meat. Tree stand hunting is standard operating procedure in eastern US. Lone Wolf climbing stands are pretty awesome in my opinion. Best scenario would have you find a local mentor willing to share info/tactics. There's lots of good info on this site. Watch the videos, search key words in forums and such. Lots of folks on this site know what they're doing and give great advice. Just don't ask for honey holes!

Welcome to HT from WNC ur kids are lucky keep the Hunt Tradition going yall will make many memories together in the field ask all the questions and read the threads much to learn here and Goodluck to you and ur family in coming seasons great work DrAlphabet !

Welcome to hunting and welcome to HT. Your kids will thank you for introducing them to hunting.
I'd suggest getting into archery for the long seasons and family fun factor of shooting in the yard. You'll likely feel more comfortable hunting when you're confident you can field dress and handle the processing of your animal. Some people use gutless method of field dress but you waste the inside flank by going that route. There are lots of utube and hunting videos to get you started. Find a deer processor if you're not into cutting up/grinding meat. Tree stand hunting is standard operating procedure in eastern US. Lone Wolf climbing stands are pretty awesome in my opinion. Best scenario would have you find a local mentor willing to share info/tactics. There's lots of good info on this site. Watch the videos, search key words in forums and such. Lots of folks on this site know what they're doing and give great advice. Just don't ask for honey holes!
Thanks for the tips! Archery is definitely something I'm interested in getting into for exactly that reason; having fun in the yard. Also, field dressing seems daunting but I have no problems butchering meat once it's already been dressed. It'll probably take some time till I'm comfortable doing it tbh... We'll see I guess!

Hey there chef! I moved to north central fl about a year and a half ago. That's a great thing you should do for your kids, family and self. Hunting and camping are great family adventures even if you get skunked, lol! I was lucky enough to kind of grow up with that and i have been raising my two boys since they were 5 on gun safety, use and appreciation of the great outdoors. started with cap guns, to bb guns and now 22 rifles and 410 shotgun. We got sick of the city and moved from st. pete to up here and the entire family loves it and the schools and teachers are so much better in the country. my one older son actually got his hunter safety course through the school!! you can't get that in any city school as they are afraid of even the word "gun" and he also really loves the 4h programs. Hope you get to where you want to be and good luck!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back