Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Heads for Colorado GMU 80 Hunters

windymtnman

Perhaps a bit of good news for Unit 80 hunters, but really a bit too soon to say this for sure?
That is, this season, thus far, is the wettest one since probably 2015. We've had some timely rains
that have enhanced the habitat considerably. I'm not getting much on my game camera on a Spring up on
the mountain this year, because the game can find water elsewhere.
This morning, I was doing a training/conditioning run with my Burro, and ran by some native grasses that were knee high.
I can't ever recall seeing grass this tall down lower in elevation, where the Sun, the hotter temps, and the drying out of soils happens quicker. That made me smile, as my pasture is reflecting that as well.

This is how, at 70 years old, I manage to stay in shape so I can enjoy the great outdoors in my retirement. I compete in the extreme sport of "Western Pack Burro Racing", where we run our asses off all over Colorado, sometimes in 29 mile races that top out at 13,200 ft.
This pic was from this past Memorial Day weekend, coming down off the mountain above the I-70 interstate. The pic was at about halfway down, so we were much higher on the side of a single track cliff. If you went over the side, if the 1000 ft. drop didn't kill you, you'd probably get run over by the traffic. Hahahaha. At 10 miles in length, this was one of the easier races. I think I was 12th of 71 racers?

Attachments

• Georgetown 2021 - photo by Brian Wanke (90).jpg
    Georgetown 2021 - photo by Brian Wanke (90).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 63
Jesus. And I thought I was in good shape for a 70 year old. Good for you!

Glad there is precip somewhere in this state. Dry as can be over here.

Love the burros! That's awesome!

I've made a few trips up to Platoro and Summitville this last week. I saw a lot of elk down low but nothing above 9,000 feet. The lower elevation is most definitely a lot greener and vegetation rich right now than the higher elevation. Last year at this time we were very dry and still very cold. Heck the last freeze here last year was July 1st.

All this moisture and heat has done wonders for the mountains and the wild game. With a mild winter and a wet warm spring I am hopeful for some very healthy elk this fall.
Screenshot_20210609-192616.png

I broke my foot almost 4 weeks ago and haven't been able to do any hiking yet. Hopefully mid month I'll be walking again!
IMG_20210609_193738.jpg

Very cool. I’m quite impressed by both the weather outlook, as well as your physical condition. Kudos to you and your burro

Back