Headlamps for under $100

I buy whatever is on sale. Princeton tec or black diamond have done me well. Check rei outlet online.

Last edited:
I've tried a few of the name brands and have settled on this Coast brand from Costco. Think they sell it in a 2 pack for like $20 when they're on sale. Has red and green led, sturdy buttons and a focus on the light. Puts out like 400 lumens, has 3 or 4 levels of output. I use them for plumbing work in attics, under sinks, emergency call outs at night, hunting, anything. Beat the heck out of them in my 40lb tool backpack and they hold up. Have to get them for myself, wife, daughter and anyone that goes with us and they are always disappearing. I think they are a killer deal.

Attachments

• 15632370878001977257075.jpg
    15632370878001977257075.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 5
My favorite headlamp of all time is a Ptezl branded one with the battery pack that is corded, that clips to my belt/pack or optionally to the headstrap. I liked it so much, that I bought a second one after a couple of weeks using the first one. It allows the use of either C or AA batteries with an internal shelf adapter. The setup was pretty heavy with C batteries, so I didn't routinely use it hunting, but it was much lighter with AA's. The C's would provide full strength light to run all day on a dental mission trip, and the light was focusable so that I could see the mouth without shining into the patient's eyes. I have had to break out the soldering iron a couple of times over the years to reattach frayed cords, and the elastic on the headstrap has weakened to the point that there is no more ability to tighten it any smaller.

I have discovered that AAA or C batteries aren't easily found in many parts of the world, while AA's are universally easy to buy.

I admit to knowing nothing about headlamps, and the ones I use are Costco specials.

But my little brother climbs in caves for fun, and he uses a Fenix HP 25, which is at the upper end of your budget. I had to shoot him a text to ask him, because when he brought it night fishing last winter it was incredible, and literally seemed as bright as a headlight in a car. It lit up the other side of the Missouri River.

I have one I got at walmart for about $10 I believe 10 years ago that has served me well ever since. I have another I got for around $25 for renewing my NWTF membership a few years ago. What is the big advantage of a $50 lamp over my $10 one that functions perfectly fine?

Mostly, I use my Streamlight headlamp because of the green light option. A set op batteries will last me a couple of seasons with a lot of use. However, I love my Zebralight for some serious bright lights when needed. I wish I had it when I was still duck hunting.

Try Homedepot , Lowes and of course Walmarts. I use them for work all the time .
I hunt with them also . They just work !
Lowes has the 100 , 200, 300 lumens right by the check out lane ! Cant remeber the $$ but I'm headed there today . I will check it out !

MT.PERCHMAN

I have one I got at walmart for about $10 I believe 10 years ago that has served me well ever since. I have another I got for around $25 for renewing my NWTF membership a few years ago. What is the big advantage of a $50 lamp over my $10 one that functions perfectly fine?
The cheaper ones work just fine - until you compare them to better ones. See Nameless' post above.
Usually they are tougher, brighter, longer lasting, more functions, more reliable, better buttons, water proof (some), and little stuff like that. Some things (certainly not all things) you get what you pay for.
I have been using Black diamond but still have a 10 year old cheapo in the truck and every time I grab it, it works like it should - but I'd much rather have the better one (or two) on a once-a-year trip on the mountain packing out an elk.
Seems like this same reasoning can be had for a lot of gear - scopes, binos, guns, bows, ammo, arrows, broad heads, packs, boots, tents, stoves, bladders, gps, knives, saddles, slings, phones, chain saws, wiper blades, trucks, tires, appliances, siding...

@John - it's kinda like flip-flops vs crocs ;)

I have used my Cabellas outfitter models for years. I recently got 2 more for extras. It provides a white light that I can read maps with ez. Adjustable.
Uses AAA batteries that can be recharged & I have spares. I only use AA & AAA rechargables. Fit all my stuff.
I do have a Petzel/Tikka with green & red shades for night hiking that uses same batteries. But the switch is a problem....goes on by itself it seems & is a pain to switch off.
I have one of these! I think it was made be black diamond or petzl and sold under cabelas name. Mine was 25.00$

I had a black diamond for several years, for the part it’s been ok however the switch has gotten finicky enough that it no longer comes into the back country with me. I switched over to Fenix, bought two model to test out...the hl50 and HL30...they been excellent. I like the hL 50 better. I also bought a petzl bindi as well. I was skeptical about its minimal design however it’s been excellent and when weight is a consideration it my go to.

Im a huge fan of the Nitecore 1000+ lumen headlamps with 18650 LI batteries. Ive had mine for YEARS. Cant go wrong.

I too use the Wal Mart Energizers. I carry two in my pack. When not in use, I invert the middle battery so the light switch cannot be turned on by mistake.

I've tried a few of the name brands and have settled on this Coast brand from Costco. Think they sell it in a 2 pack for like $20 when they're on sale. Has red and green led, sturdy buttons and a focus on the light. Puts out like 400 lumens, has 3 or 4 levels of output. I use them for plumbing work in attics, under sinks, emergency call outs at night, hunting, anything. Beat the heck out of them in my 40lb tool backpack and they hold up. Have to get them for myself, wife, daughter and anyone that goes with us and they are always disappearing. I think they are a killer deal.

These are what I use as well. They are bright, tough and cheap. Battery life seems pretty good and as haven’t had an issue with accidental on like on some of the spendier ones I’ve had.

I've got a Petzl Tactikka +RGB and BD Storm. That Storm is an impressive light. I also have a Petzl E+Lite that is nice to have around at less than an ounce for backup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back