Heading out for muzzy idaho 61 on saturday

Wyhunter

Well, after eating tag soup with my general non res deer tag, I'll be heading up to 61. I have the late season muzzy either sex deer and muzzy spike or cow. I'm taking my 67 year old disabled father as well. Hoping for some descent weather and and seeing some animals. My dad will tip over pretty much anything that's legal, I'm going to chase a 3 point or better. Open to any elk at this point. I'm excited for the hunt and will be up there for 4 days this trip. I'll keep you guys updated with pictures! Only question, are the griz starting to hibernate at this point, or will I need to be cautious? Im carrying bear spray and a side arm just in case. Good luck to anyone with a late season tag!

Good luck in 61,,no,, grizz are still out and about,,I wouldn't be to picky if I were you,,things were slim when I had 61 a few years ago

I miss that country dearly, hunted it for 5 years. Definitely still pack your bear spray. I did see some great deer occasionally in the summer but never ran into them in the fall. Big weather will move the critters and they go both north into MT for winter and south into the desert country. Seems to just depend on what they felt like doing the day they migrated

Thank you for the info, gents. I'll be sure to keep a look out. I hope my dad tags out, I'm good with tag soup if I don't see a mature buck. The woods are my personal therapy, I just love being out there. Meat is just a bonus. I'll have to post some pictures next week.

Oh man... 61 is a rought unit, especially for a disabled guy. Took my dad out and spent around 23 hours of time hunting. Drive him around and set him up in a chair to glass while I hiked. Pretty much covered 1 side of the unit to the other. Tons of pressure up there mixed with 8 inches of frozen snow, made an extremely difficult hunt. We didnt see a single deer or elk. Only 1 bull moose. There was some fresh elk sign in the snow, but it was so loud to walk on, that they could hear you from 500 meters out. Not much deer sign... here and there. Definitely some pretty country and I can see how it would hold animals, just not our week.

Back