Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hawaii hunting Axis deer....

The glitches were minor. Hawaiisafaris were great! It was a bit warm to hunt, but doable. I would recommend this hunt to all. Not sure what the situation regarding Hawaiisafaris will be going forward. RIP Pat Fisher. You will be missed. MTG

Hey all, I've been hunting the Kula Forest Reserve a couple days since arriving last week. Tons of Goats but no deer so far. Does anyone know if you can find them up that high (just above the treeline)?
Also, are there deer on the west side of the island in hunting zone A?

Hey all, I've been hunting the Kula Forest Reserve a couple days since arriving last week. Tons of Goats but no deer so far. Does anyone know if you can find them up that high (just above the treeline)?
Also, are there deer on the west side of the island in hunting zone A?
Public land on Maui for deer is a waste of time. They’re all on private land. Go to Lanai.

Public land on Maui for deer is a waste of time. They’re all on private land. Go to Lanai.
Have you tried the public land hunts on Maui? I called up the biologist last year in preparation and they gave me some pointers that I did not consider when reviewing the different public land units available for Axis. The island has over 80,000 deer and there are units to hunt them.

- I have not hunted it yet.

Have you tried the public land hunts on Maui? I called up the biologist last year in preparation and they gave me some pointers that I did not consider when reviewing the different public land units available for Axis. The island has over 80,000 deer and there are units to hunt them.

- I have not hunted it yet.
Would you be willing to share some info? I go to Maui several times a year but a guided hunt or even a Lanai hunt isn't in the current budget.

It wasn't in the budget unfortunately. (Ferry, Jeep Rental, Land Access Fees) Maybe I'll plan better for that next time. I had a blast still hunting through the forest and exploring the unit. Plenty of feral pigs and goats around, if you're into that sort of thing.

Attachments

• 20231226_170847.jpg
    20231226_170847.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 23
The biggest deterrent for Hawaii hunts is the Gun control laws. If you bring a rifle, expect to wait at least 7 days before the PD gives you your gun back. This is why you generally see a lot of footage of hunters bowhunting.

edit...At least it appears you solved the gun problem.

The biggest deterrent for Hawaii hunts is the Gun control laws. If you bring a rifle, expect to wait at least 7 days before the PD gives you your gun back. This is why you generally see a lot of footage of hunters bowhunting.
Maybe it's different now but I was able to register mine and get it back the same morning. I had to wait in line then go get my finger prints done while they inspected my rifle but I had all my paperwork and was headed back to my in-laws that afternoon.
The application must be completed in-person at the Records Section of the Maui Police Department, Wailuku, Maui or at the Lana’i and Moloka’i police stations.

Check your profile... send me an email. I can't send messages since you are a new member.

Can someone who's done this send me a PM?

Got lucky enough to sneak away with a friend on Maui once for a single afternoon hunt for them and thought it was a lot of fun. Would love to hear about Lanai/Maui/Big island DIY hunting.

Still have nightmares of the giant, and I mean giant Axis deer I shot high on at 12 yds. I wanted to jump off the cliff!

Back