NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Havalon Knives.

My son took his allowance money that he'd saved and bought me a Cutco knife. He's 12, so it's the knife a 12-year old boy would choose. But - he had it engraved: "Dad, thanks for the hunts. MIchael 2010."

I guess I'll use the knife a time or two on hunts with him. Hopefully, on his first deer.

No, he just doesn't spend his money - that is part of what makes this knife so special to me. (And he probably gaver his Mom the cow eyes so she would kick some in... ;) )

I used my Havalon knife on my recent trip to Alaska. Loved it. They're very sharp so you have to be careful, but once you learn how to handle them, they're great.

Tafheal, I'm with Bambi on this one ... What do you have in North Carolina that you need "haft" too ? ;)

Hog, bear, clearing right-of way,intimidating the locals, whatever is required. We're saving the hefty women in the event Dinkshooter should ever head this way. In the event you thought "haft" was a typo,it wasn't. I have rather large hands, therefore requiring a knife with a lot of "haft".

Last edited:
Why would you need a stout knife for a bear? The last one I took care of was with a glorified pocket knife, but he was just a little guy.

I guess I don't hunt on the road so right-of-way clearing really isn't required.

The locals up here are usually packing iron, not sure a knife strapped to my hip would help much... ;)

I'm done with 'hunting' knives. From here on out this is the only thing I'm packing in my kit... a 'real' knife

40514.jpg

It stays sharp, can be re-sharpened in an instant with a small diamond steal. A knife thats actually designed to cut/bone meat is a hellofalot more valuable to me than a heavy, clunky hunting knife. Razor blade knives, and 'blunt' edged hunting knives will not be packed up a hill ever again. IT weighs next to nothing and the best part is it only costs $25.

I skined, quarted, and boned a moose with it last week, then cut and wrapped it when I got home. I never had to break out a stone, or try to work an edge back onto it, only hit it with a steal, and it still sharp enough to do it all over again.

Would you consider processing a moose/elk with a Havalon knife? How many blades would it take?

Bambi,

I am glad I took your advise. Very happy with the knife.

Gutting, gutless, boning, finished processing at home...did everything I needed and a great price.

Bambi,

I am glad I took your advise. Very happy with the knife.

Gutting, gutless, boning, finished processing at home...did everything I needed and a great price.

Caping? A good use for the Havalon, I think. Bambi's knife would be good for everything else. I've been carrying a folding Outdoor Edge boning knife to assist the Havalon.

I carried the exact knife as Bambi moose hunting and elk hunting this year...along with a scalpel and some #22 blades for caping.

Theres lots of other choices, but Forschner knives are about as good as shit gets.

I bought the small Piranta tracer Havalon this year and used it on an Elk. I liked it a lot, small, light, and sharp. I don't have it anymore though, I gave it to a buddy there who helped me pack the animal off the mountain. He liked the knife too and I was happy to give it to him. My little brother bought me another one for christmas, the piranta Z. they are nice little knives.

I'm done with 'hunting' knives. From here on out this is the only thing I'm packing in my kit... a 'real' knife

40514.jpg

It stays sharp, can be re-sharpened in an instant with a small diamond steal. A knife thats actually designed to cut/bone meat is a hellofalot more valuable to me than a heavy, clunky hunting knife. Razor blade knives, and 'blunt' edged hunting knives will not be packed up a hill ever again. IT weighs next to nothing and the best part is it only costs $25.

I skined, quarted, and boned a moose with it last week, then cut and wrapped it when I got home. I never had to break out a stone, or try to work an edge back onto it, only hit it with a steal, and it still sharp enough to do it all over again.

Would you consider processing a moose/elk with a Havalon knife? How many blades would it take?

Curious what sheath you use for the curved blade, they are pretty hard to find online. Or do you use something else?

If I remember right they come with a plastic sheath that slips over the blade. I have 2 of those that we use for cutting meat at home. I had never thought of throwing them in a pack though. We got them from my brother in law who was working at a meat packing plant. He said that is all they use for cutting meat at the plant.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back