Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Havalon knife users!

schmalts

The 60XT blades are not that good for elk size game, they are too thin and I broke 7 of them on my elk. The 22 blades would be a better choice for thick skinned game for the skinning part. Just my opinion. Use the 60's but carry plent to spare!

Pat is that the first animal you used one on? If so you will get better with them, I had a hard time the first couple of animals that i did.
Jay

They make better knives for actual skinning. the havalones are great for the fine detail work. IMO.

+1 chasendeer

Of course I need hand surgery to repair the nerve I severed with the darn thing this year. Almost too much of a good thing with those surgical blades....

Pat is that the first animal you used one on? If so you will get better with them, I had a hard time the first couple of animals that i did.
Jay

I have used it on 3 lopes and 2 deer already. so no it was not my first. But then again i was HAULING ASS cutting that bull up in the 90 degree temps to save the meat. I broke a couple just cutting through the hide by pushing too hard. I only broke a couple on the deer and lope when boning.

With those knives you really need to let the blade do all of the work and not force anything. But, I do use the 22XT blade and they have worked fine on Moose and Bear. I have recently bought their Baracuta fillet knife for de-boning, will see how that works.

Call me old school, but what's the point in taking a knife to do a job where there is ANY risk at all of breaking a blade? I've gutted, skinned & broken down I don't know how many critters in the last 40+ years and have never broken a blade...ever.
Sometimes retro isn't that bad.
WD

Retro Sucks Wally :D :D

You guys that can't use a Havalon blade probably masterbate more then you have sex........ LEarn to let the tool work. Don't work the tool !!

will the 22XT fit on a knife made for the 60's?

Not sure about your knife, but this is the info on my knife below and it does fit the 60's.

Versatile Piranta Tracer-22
Fits Blades #20-25, #25XT and #60!
You asked and we delivered. The new Havalon Piranta Tracer-22 fits the #22 surgical blade, the most popular blade used by professional taxidermists. As an added bonus, the Piranta Tracer-22 fits all of the blades in the 20 thru 25 range, plus the 22XT AND the 60XT blades.

The website lists #22 and #22XT's as replacements for the Piranta, so there should be no problem if that's what you have. Schmalts told me that the XT's were not made for the Piranta, but I had no problem with them. I just don't like the shape.

I have the Piranta-Z Black Zytel knife...it looks like they have different shaped bases...they still are interchangeable? I know the tracer will take both style blades but has anyone tried the 22 on Piranta?

Last edited:
I have the Piranta-Z Black Zytel knife...it looks like they have different shaped bases...they still are interchangeable? I know the tracer will take both style blades but has anyone tried the 22 on Piranta?

I would probably call them and ask.

Customer Care is available Monday through Thursday from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, and Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Eastern Standard Time.

1-800-638-4770 Phone

Do you guys bring a backup knife? I mean if you're as good at remembering as I am, sooner or later you'll forget to pack spare blades.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back