Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hardcore duck hunting or just plain stupid

mtmiller

Saturday I woke up pouting 'cause there is snow on the ground, deer are on the move and I have no tag. Though maybe I could chase some ducks, but everything is iced up around here. Finally I decided what the hell and hit the road. I know of a place about two hours away that usually stays open a little longer.

Well I show up and there are a few ducks, so I guess better than nothing. I shoot a limit in about two hours, including one of the best pintails I have ever taken.
11_09_03_007.jpg

Just as I finish up, a heavy fog rolls in a it gets damn cold.

Now I have two choices, hit the road for home or pull out the sleeping bag (guess a motel would have worked, but feeling a little frugal).

After some dinner I pulled out a couple of sleeping bags and hopped in the back of the pickup. Temps got down to zero, but I only woke up a few times during the night. Guess I survived, but not sure whether I will pull this again.
11_09_03_011.jpg

I did get enjoy a great lunar eclipse and a pretty cool (or should I say cold) sunrise. Here is Axl checking out the dekes before we get started.
11_09_03_013.jpg

Well I got into some ducks, but not as many as I had hoped for. I did get a nice canvasback, so I guess it was better than sitting on my hands at home.

Axl did a great job and didn't let the ice slow him down too much.
11_09_03_015.jpg

Not the greatest late season hunt, but 10 more ducks ready for the jerky-maker.
biggrin.gif

11_09_03_031.jpg

On my way out, I had to hit an overlook where I thought there might be some deer. It is right on the Milk River and hold some dandy bucks, although it is still recovering from EHD that hit a couple of years ago.

I watched soem bird hunters pushing some deer out in fromnt of them and I got to see around 10 bucks that would go 4 point or better. As I was glassing, the game warden pulled up and checked my birds. As we chatted, I noticed two bucks sparring pretty good about a half mile away. We both went to the binos and enjoyed the show.

Man I love this state, I only wish they would give me more deer tags.

MAN.. It must have been cold.. you're spelling like me
eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> soem bird hunters pushing some deer out in fromnt <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I jsut wish I lived closer cuz I'd be there with you bud !!!

Sounds like fun!
rolleyes.gif
Actually, better than my weekend. At least you don't have to worry about Axl freezing his balls off!
eek.gif

MTMiller,
We were on the same stretch of water yesterday(Sunday) and had a lot of fun. The ducks were thick in the afternoon. The group I hunted with was on the river with a jet boat and it was so foggy they ran aground because then couldn't see.
Nemont

Hey Nemont. Actually this was from yesterday, but not the same water you were hunting. I was about 50 miles west of Glasgow. No boats on this water as it was only about 6" of water and 3' of mud.
eek.gif

I am glad you guys got into the ducks. I need to get over there sometime. How is the public acess? Any places to hunt without a jet boat?

Sorry, Looked like the waters below Ft. Peck. Yes there are several points you can access without a boat. The ducks are thick right now and the river isn't icy at all. We have had a lot of success on ducks this year. Have shot a few geese coming in as well. Nemont

Whats the Shape of the BULl CAN's (Learned the tems this year
wink.gif
) I want to mount one.. I might have to Get one from ya Miller... Will save you from making Jerky out of it
wink.gif
Or tell me the best time to come over next year and We'll spend a couple days hunting for them ourselves !!!

Awsome pics man... Truely Colorfull and Awsome !!!

He was in pretty good shape, but seems to be a little skinny now that he doesn't have any meat on him.
biggrin.gif

11_09_03_032.jpg

I would love to start mounting some of these guys, but I am still saving to put my deer on the wall (I mean pedistal).
11_09_03_028.jpg

I think your best bet is to head out this direction to get one. Can you be here tomorrow, I think cans (and pintails) close tomorrow at dark.
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Damn that looks cold!
Great pics (like always) and thanks for sharing....I need to move out of the concrete state
rolleyes.gif

Awesome pics Miller, did you have to throw the ducks in a cooler to keep them from freezing solid.
wink.gif
BBRRRRRRRrrr

Miller , Next time Give me at least 2 days notice.... And I'll be there
wink.gif

Next year !! Nice pics bro !!

Rub it in Cougar, rub it in.
biggrin.gif

Actually the temp. are on the move and we are at 40 degrees right now. It figures, I am headed out of town for meetings in the morning and won't be able to chase ducks for at least 10 days. I will have a few days to chase SD whities though.
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back