Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hard to make Lowa boot choices.... how high?

schmalts

So I wore out my Lowa Sheephunters after many years of use. The old model sheephunter is now the Hunter GTX Extreme. With a lot of hemming and hawing I decided to go with the new Bighorn GTX G3.
The Bighorns are a little shorter than the Hunters. Has anyone made this change and did you notice a big difference in the ankle support or not? It was darn near impossible to roll an ankle in the tall boots, but they were heavy too.

Though different brands, I've had both 10" and 8" boots and haven't really been able to tell the difference in stability.

I just got some Tibets. First pair of Lowas in 25 yrs.
Very glad I did.Extremely well made and comfortable with plenty of support.
Had been using 10" Ibex for 15+yrs. No difference in stability.
I sewed drawstrings into my hunt pants hems so I don't have stuff in my socks.
I had tried on newer Kenetreks and Meindels. Lowas were way better made/fit,IMHO

Do Lowas take a lot of time to break in? I bought the leather Renegades last year and tried hiking in them a few times but they destroyed my feet. Was thinking of selling them but if I'm just being a wuss, then I'll try them out again.

Note: I've broken in plenty of leather cowboy/horseback riding boots. These just seem to be a tougher break-in.

Do Lowas take a lot of time to break in? I bought the leather Renegades last year and tried hiking in them a few times but they destroyed my feet. Was thinking of selling them but if I'm just being a wuss, then I'll try them out again.

Note: I've broken in plenty of leather cowboy/horseback riding boots. These just seem to be a tougher break-in.
My Lowa Tibets were broken in before I left the store. Seriously good boots and my wife just picked up a pair and took them on a tough hike in the Spanish peaks after only walking a few miles in them. Maybe the Renegades don't fit your feet, but that is just another excuse to get out and hike more to make sure.

I don't know how the Tibets compare to the OP's boots or the Renegades, but they were a big step up from the boots in the < $300 class.

Last edited:
I'd say if any brand of boot is messing you up then it's time to move on.

Asolos? I can't walk across the living room without bleeding and blisters.

Lowa sheep hunters? I've gone on a 10 day hunt where the first time I put them on was day one and it was peachy!

I've had some Lowa's (Ranger) for a year and a half, they're broke in, but still relatively stiff, I think that helps to keep you from rolling down the hill.

The lower Lowa boots offer enough ankle support for me. Actually better than some of my other boots that are much taller.

My Tibets fit like a custom made padded slipper when I 1st put them on.
I got one size up for thick winter socks with liners.
Tried them day one in single Costco merino sock I had on and went on a 2 mile walk on my place.Too comfortable.
Next time liner and Heavy Danner wool socks,way too comfortable still. Wore them all day.

My feet feel as secure as they ever did in my old Lowa Mountaineering boots I used to wear,tanks for your feet we called them.

Last edited:
Goooood to know. Thanks guys. Prob gonna sell 'em then.

Finding shoes is hard. I hike in Goretex Merrells for my backpacking trips and love them. But looking to get something way more rugged for this fall/winter.

Check E-bay for the Tibets,they get new ones that didn't fit to sell.I got mine thru Amazon since mine were common size. I knew they should be half size larger for me. A friend gets his there ,he wears 15's,easy to find odd sizes on e-bay.
Try boots on for size and fit at a store and if they don't give you a decent price,go elsewhere.

Back