Caribou Gear Tarp

HAPPY V-J DAY!

CPAjeff

Even though the official surrender did not take place until September 2, 1945, the initial announcement of Japan's surrender occurred on this day, 75 years ago.

A huge THANK YOU to the world's greatest generation for your service three-quarters of a century ago. Also, a huge THANK YOU to all those who have served since that time to keep this Nation safe!

My grandfather served in the south Pacific he fought at guadalcanal, saipan, Okinawa, and more. Here's a pamphlet he received shortly before the end of the war when they were preparing for the invasion of the main land. Seems most of the WW2 vets are gone, but at least for some of us they and their sacrifices will never be forgotten.20200827_161859.jpg20200827_161914.jpg20200827_161919.jpg

Hard to believe it's been 75 years. The atomic bombs were terrible weapons but Wild Will's post is a good reminder that a conventional invasion of the Home Islands, as would have been required without them, was expected to cost an additional 1 million US and 4-6 million Japanese casualties.

My grandfather was on an aircraft carrier that was sunk in the Sea of Japan. He survived. My great uncle was a marine in the South Pacific. Neither of them talked much at all about it. I always wished I could have heard more about it, but don't blame them either. My uncle flew A1 Intruders in Viet Nam. He has told me some amazing stories of flying from carriers at night. My hat is off to them and all of the soldiers they served with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back